So... My coin made the news in Australia

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Jul 13, 2018.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

The article is here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-...red-off-arnhem-land-coast/9959250?pfmredir=sm

And here is my picture that they used:
    19b-Kil-1310-al-Hasan ibn Sulayman-Fal-XVII.jpg

I have since taken what I think is a better picture:
    Med-19b-Kil-1310-Hasan Sulayman-Fal-616.jpg
    East Africa - Kilwa Sultanate
    al-Hasan ibn Sulayman, r. 1310-1333
    Kisiwani mint, AE Fals, 20.13 mm x 2.2 grams
    Obv.: احسن بن / سليمان / عزذصز (al-Hasan ibn / Sulaiman / yathiku (May his victory be glorious!)). Inscription in three lines
    Rev.: يتق / بالواحل / النان (trusts / in the One (God) / the Bountiful). Inscription in three lines
    Ref.: SICA 10, #616, Freeman-Grenville 1954, pg. 223 no. xv, Walker obv: XVII, Rev.: XXIII, Album 1183
    Note: Found on Kilwa Island in 1982

This brings two thoughts to mind. Firstly, are images we put on this webpage freely available for others to use as a part of the terms of use when we signed up? I didn't necessarily find anything through a quick search. @GDJMSP?

Secondly, this article adds a little more information that would be relevant to the Koinon article I had prepared for @Nicholas Molinari - is there still time to change things on that, or is the journal coming out soon?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

wow!..that's too kool for school man! congrats!

4. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

It might have been better to ask, but in the US we have a fair use law--

107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;

(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

https://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#107

galba68, Deacon Ray and FitzNigel like this.
  5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Ah, I hadn’t considered fair use. Quite useful as an educator, but makes sense for news reporting as well.

Mind you, I’m not upset or anything. Just curious.

TIF likes this.
  6. Whizb4ng

Whizb4ng HIC SVNT DRACONES

Call it a plate coin, link the article, get a couple extra bucks at auction :p

7. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Yeah I've had writeups I've done on coins/types on this site used by a couple dealers as descriptions on coins their were selling through their website. No attribution or asking for permission and they are using it for commercial use in that case. People find this site when they're looking for information and so this sort of thing happens.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The terms of service agreement that all members agree to abide by when they join the forum say that anything you post here can be used by CoinTalk.

That doesn't mean that if a member posts an article or picture here that Peter, the site owner, can take your article and or pictures and use it elsewhere for his own benefit, it merely means that he can use it here, on the forum.

Pretty much all forums and participatory websites have the same kind of terms of service that those who use the forum or site have to agree to. That's because everything you, meaning the individual member, write or take a picture of is copyright protected the moment you write it or take that picture. And what you are doing is giving the website written permission to use your copyrighted work - on their website - not anywhere and everywhere else.

As for any others using your words/pictures elsewhere, copyright law applies.

rrdenarius and FitzNigel like this.
  9. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Yes, if minor edits you can do that when I send you the proofs. If more than that, email me and I’ll send you the “live” version of the paper that is being prepared for the proofs.

Nick

10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

11. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I actually read this article a few days ago, without realizing that there was a connection to our humble little online community or resident medeivalist @FitzNigel.

While there are a lot of reasons that plucking a single coin out of the ground does void of context not establish a historical connection, the find is certainly interesting. The Past Masters group in Australia also maintain an informative website.

lordmarcovan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted