So much good stuff at the Carson City coinshop!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gam3rBlake, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I went to Carson City last week to visit a family member and see the Carson City Mint. There is a cool coin dealer shop right across the street (good location) and it had so much amazing stuff.

If you’re looking for CCs I visited them last week and they had me drooling with all the CC coins. I’ve never seen so many gold CC coins in one spot.

D677D5F0-0600-4126-8F6B-C53E30630BBD.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that's NOT the place to buy CC coins. Very cool but there's a term called "tourist trap" that may apply here. It would be cool to visit, stop there and get one though, if you were in the market. I didn't say the trap wouldn't work on people...

Paul M. and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  4. Gam3rBlake

Actually the prices there are very fair. Usually they’re somewhere between greysheet & blue book values. Sometimes they get up into red book pricing on key dates.

The guy who owns it though definitely seems like an honest guy who knows what he’s doing but I’m sure if you really look around you can find better prices.

5. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP Supporter

I'd love to visit the place some day and make a few purchases. Looks like great inventory.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Northern Nevada Coin, I assume. They're a reputable dealer that does the national show circuit. Their signature coin is an 1884-CC Morgan that is split completely in half. They are not a tourist trap. A tourist trap, perhaps one in another corner of Nevada, would have greatly overpriced, cleaned common dates.

TypeCoin971793 and charlietig like this.
  7. msb

msb New Member

That's an impressive display of CCs. I wouldn't mind spending a few minutes in that shop. Thanks for sharing. How was the actual CC Mint. Are you able to tour it inside?

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  8. Gam3rBlake

Yup! They also have a website www.brokencc.com

9. Gam3rBlake

Sadly due to COVID we weren’t able to go inside. I believe you need an appointment. I just looked from the outside and then explored the coin shops nearby.

I should also mention that the photo I took was just one display case. They had at least a dozen of them! They just didn’t want me taking a bunch of photos due to security reasons so I just took the one.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  10. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

I must agree, I've done two transactions now with them via email and phone with a couple (non CC) Morgan Dollars and it was a fantastic purchase each time, their photos and descriptions are spot on and their customer service is awesome.

11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I believe that was also used on an episode of THE BIG VALLEY from 1965 that featured William Shatner !:D

12. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

If he's within 5% or so of recent auction prices that's acceptable to me.

You don't want to pay an extra 25-35% like you see on some of these Coinfomercials. :mad:

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I was hoping you were talking about a mated pair of split planchets, each one having one side of the coin completely intact. I've only ever seen one of these, ever, and it was not a Morgan dollar. This one is almost as cool. :)

14. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Northern Nevada Coin is indeed a reputable dealer. I go to northern Nevada, usually Reno, on business occasionally and try to stop in. In addition to their shop in Carson City, they have a nice shop in Reno. Good selection and prices and very helpful and knowledgeable people. They also attend major shows. Once these get going again and if you can make it to one, stop by their table to look and chat.

Cal

15. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

Yes, NNC is a good dealer. I've purchased and traded with them and I got fair deals and good service.

GoldFinger1969 and Gam3rBlake like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted