So much for USPS’ most secure mailing service...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TypeCoin971793, Feb 9, 2019.

1. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that - it's completely unacceptable.

ATB,
    Aidan.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's horrible.:vomit::nailbiting:

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

What happened was that the coin entered the US on November 4. From that point, it kept leaving and then entering the NYC distribution center (per tracking, but every USPS person I’ve talked with says it was just being held in Customs). Then in early January, I opened an inquiry. Apparently it was found and sent to the Atlanta claim center (I can’t remember the official name at the moment) on January 15. Their records indicate that I got a call that day telling me the results of the inquiry, but either it didn’t happen or it got mixed in with the 3-5 spam robot calls I had been getting each day. They left no message, and I never received any follow-up. The tracking kept doing its thing, so I called again in February, and nothing came of that call. On February 14th, the tracking finally updated to show it was scanned in at zip code 30378, which was the aforementioned Atlanta facility. Apparently, that was supposed to mean that it was found and I was to contact USPS to claim the package. I was never contacted with such information. Two days later, a duplicate label was entered into the system, and I presumed that the label was reprinted because it had been damaged, and it was going to be sent on its way. The scan at 30378 was deleted at this point. Nothing changed until (apparently) 6 days ago, when the package was permanently disposed of after never being claimed.

My best guess what that the coins were either lost in shipment, or they were stolen after the package was damaged/“unclaimed”.

What a shame. One of those deniers was among the finest known for the type. :(

thejewk likes this.
  6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Thanks for the updating us. I'm sorry you never got your coins.

An interesting bit of info the helpful lady at USPS Consumer Affairs related to me: when you fill out one of those 'Missing Mail' forms on the USPS website it is sent to the Atlanta lost mail facility.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  7. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

That's rough my friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted