So much for USPS’ most secure mailing service...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TypeCoin971793, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Been there. Done that. I retired from the USPS 2 years ago, never been happier. I'm also a Vietnam Era Vet. I loved working for the postal service but they are a mess and getting worse. Each area and even each office is different. Surely you can admit that. Many strange things can and do happen, years of postal management have proved that to me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

I've been retired for sixteen years. I, too was a Vietnam era vet. I know the place has gone downhill since I left-I have no problem admitting that.

I just don't like the inference that I'm some kind of a ex-con. When I hired in (1972) background checks were very thorough-ex-cons weren't hired. Has this changed??

4. Collecting Nut

No, still a very strong background check, testing and years of waiting to get a decent job with them. Management has gone downhill but then my theory is incompetence breds incompetence, meaning it starts at the top and filters down to low level management. Non management is normally not an issue.

Service has also declined. Registered Mail International parcels now travel through the normal mail stream and in most cases a signature is not required.

5. I file a USPS Missing Mail request on the 6th day after the package transits a US port of entry facility or if the package appears stalled in transit to an anonymous USPS "Next Facility" daily at midnight.

By providing USPS, and US Customs which may have intercepted the package at random, with a description and JPEG photos of the coin, these agencies know that I am expecting the package containing the items described.

As a counterexample, if you were expecting to receive a piece of contraband, you would not be so eager to admit that you were waiting for the package that may have been opened without your knowledge by US Customs.

USPS usually releases the package almost immediately without opening a formal inquiry as would be apparent on the tracking history.

USPS Missing Mail is accessed here: https://missingmail.usps.com

6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Its last scan was in Atlanta. I still remember the zip code, so maybe there’s hope?

I’ve called them several times as well as opened inquiries. Nothing productive came from them.

7. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

"Service has also declined. Registered Mail International parcels now travel through the normal mail stream and in most cases a signature is not required."

Really? That's SO surprising!

8. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

I once got a package three months after mailing. No postal marking at all, but stamped "Sent to Taiwan in error". It was mailed in an adjoining state. And how do you confuse North Carolina with Taiwan?

9. Sorry for your loss!

Did you consider reporting to Ebay that you did not receive the item within Ebay's delivery window for that item? Ebay's Money Back Guarantee also applies to foreign transactions as well. If in doubt, Ebay will tell you the earliest date which you can report your item as missing for your transaction amount to be fully refunded. The limit of "30 days" is gone due to foreign transactions taking so long.

Once, a seller from China sold me a coin that had dark rust stains that were missing from the listing's photographs. The seller had substituted stock photos for those of the coin. The seller had to refund my money and give me a $100 Ebay coupon. The seller also had to cancel a second order I had placed with him but that the seller had already shipped. I decided to pay for the second coin when I received it in excellent condition. The seller and I continue to do business.

Store my coins a safe deposit box wrapped in anti-tarnish cloth with lots of silica moisture absorbing packets to prevent the same unexpected oxidation issues.

However, regardless of the cost, your's was such a unique ancient coin!

10. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Would contacting the Postmaster General in either your PO or the last place the package was known help?

11. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

I, too, am retired from the post office, and also did 12 years active duty in the military, and I hate being lumped in with postal workers who make the good ones look bad. I also know service is going downhill.
    I loved being a mailman, and loved interacting with the people on my route every day (didn't love many of the dogs, though). My post office was a high stress place to be, run by idiots, so getting the mail out onto the street was the best time of the day.

12. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

When I had a package last month go 'dark' at ISC Chicago for several weeks I called my local USPS Consumer Affairs office. I spoke with a very helpful lady who took my name and number and did indeed call me back with updates. They can see things in the tracking we can't on our end and she was able to tell me more precisely what was going on with my 'lost' package. Within a few days the package began moving again and was delivered.

Call USPS at (800) 275-8777 and ask to be transferred to your local USPS Consumer Affairs office.

13. Collecting Nut

The Postmaster General is in Washington DC. A Postmaster is the head manager in a Post Office.

14. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

There are several ways a person with a criminal history can apply for a certificate of relief (there are several types of forms) which bars an employer from discriminating against the person because of their background from being employed. Since this is a Federal Statute, the USPS will hire the person as long as they pass all the tests and other qualifications. The only agencies that this doesn't apply to are all the Law Enforcement Agencies.

15. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I was thinking of the local Postmaster. That's why a person shouldn't type and watch tv. Thank you for the correction.

16. Collecting Nut

No problem and been there done that.

17. TypeCoin971793

I just called again, and they have reopened the case. They were very confused themselves.

David Atherton likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Excellent!!!

19. TypeCoin971793

USPS called me back just now. It is gone for good. :(

20. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

That's terrible! Did they give any indication of what happened to it and why?

21. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Did they offer any explanation of why they would destroy a coin?

Draft saved Draft deleted