So much for USPS’ most secure mailing service...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TypeCoin971793, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

That’s a new one. That package had the coins? I’d expect that for drugs or hazardous items.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Never seen that before, wow. That's chicken*hi*. I would be crying for a long while.:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Maybe that was their way of covering up the theft of the coins:dead:

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Contact the POSTAL Inspectors in your area.

TypeCoin971793 and panzerman like this.
  6. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

This didn't contain coins, but was coin-related - it came recently after a nice trip to Bermuda which took two months:

upload_2019-3-23_22-47-18.png

7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Paul M. and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I sometimes think our packages have a mind of their own and want to see the world before they arrive and get shoved into an album or SDB, never to be seen again till whenever.:p:D

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It states "disposed of" not destroyed. And yes to reporting to the Pistsl Service as the local delivery office probably did not serve the customers needs in attempting to locate this.

10. David Atherton

This is the only thing I can find in regards to DISPOSED BY POST OFFICE - 'This is an event used primarily for Parcel Return Service or Hold for Pickup Items.' o_O

Certainly not a normal scan for an international package.

TIF likes this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

"Disposed" is not necessarily a synonym for "destroyed". I sincerely hope your package has not been destroyed or tossed in the garbage.

Here's what USPS.com has to say about the phrase. It is possible that the package is going to be held at the post office for a period of time. The problem: which post office??

12. David Atherton

Agreed. Hopefully it's just a scan in error and it will pop back into tracking.

13. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

The root of disposed is the latin disponere- to arrange. this is of course also related to the old French "poser" to place. Perhaps in this context is refers to the item as being re-sorted?

14. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

Maybe?

My local P.O. is called the El Dorado Thieves Guild. We mail all packages from a different USPS site that is 5 miles away and we’re moving our P.O. Box there soon.

In California the USPS’ll soak one side of the package, open it, and repair it if no worker wants what’s inside. Otherwise, it’s disposed of due to “water damage”. And your coin(s) disappear. If it’s worth more than $100, find another carrier.

I hope OP gets lucky and they deliver his coin.

With so much online commerce it was only a matter of time before some criminal group got involved. Now, the truck “...it fell off...” is white with blue lettering and stripes.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's a bad omen if "MS13" is spray-painted on the outside of the USPS building.

Chris

CasualAg$ likes this.
  16. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

Priceless. :)

17. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

"USPS...…United States Parole System."

Gee-what an intelligent comment-I worked there for 31 years and have never been in jail. Nor have I had a problem with Registered mail in 40+ years of using it. I also served in the military-have you?

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  18. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

Just an afterthought-it's because of posters like Mr. "USPS...…United States Parole System." above that I don't come here much anymore.

19. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Just a thought, as I had your problem for many years, where deliveries went into a "hole" somewhere never to be seen. I had one 5 figure registered shipment disappear, where even the Postmaster couldn't find its location, which she stated that registered shipments are delivered through devious paths. It arrived months later.

I decided to have an address which included a Post Office Box address, so the items aren't returned or shipped elsewhere when delivery can't normally be accomplished. This has been a redeeming decision for Fedex and UPS problem deliveries also.

20. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Just a thought, as I had your problem for many years, where deliveries went into a "hole" somewhere never to be seen. I had one 5 figure registered shipment disappear, where even the Postmaster couldn't find its location, which she stated that registered shipments are delivered through devious paths. It arrived months later.

I decided to have an address which included a Post Office Box address, so the items aren't returned or shipped elsewhere when delivery can't normally be accomplished. This has been a redeeming decision for Fedex and UPS problem deliveries also.

Paul M. likes this.
  21. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Some USPS distribution centers are notorious for loosing mail. Whenever a tracked package goes through Jacksonville, FL I cringe, having lost several packages at that facility. And trying to get satisfaction is a gut wrenching experience. Sign of the times?

Draft saved Draft deleted