So much for USPS’ most secure mailing service...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TypeCoin971793, Feb 9, 2019.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Could you use punctuation, please?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

A few years back the PO decided to close the sorting facility in Lincoln, Ne. Now if you mail a letter in Lincoln to someone else in Lincoln, it is sent to Omaha, sorted, then sent back to Lincoln for delivery.

4. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Memphis is a MAJOR distribution hub for all the main delivery services - I'd imagine the labor is intensive and the employee turnover high - that and the co-op agreements amongst the three (USPS, FedEx, UPS) and air transportation by private and commercial aviation only adds to the possible confusion - good luck & hang in there :rolleyes:

5. Neosynephrine

Neosynephrine Member

A long time ago I sent for a 1938-D 3-Leg Buffalo in AU55. Got and showed it to my very trusted dealer. He said it had been whizzed (dang it). I sent it back thru snail mail insured, but it never got there. The P.O. refunded me the insured money. Only time I've had anything come up missing. As a mail carrier, I will tell you all to make sure the sender has tracking at the very least, return notice in the form of the green postcards if possible, and insure it as we have to scan both the tracking and the separate insured green label barcode. Anything too big for the parcel lockers has to be left by the front door where it is susceptible to porch pirates, weather, animals, Raider fans, and anything else nasty. Have a neighbor pick it up if necessary.

6. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

lol @ Raider fans.

juris klavins likes this.
  7. TypeCoin971793

Update: the package finally showed up in its destination city after a month off the radar. :)

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

The crazy thing is, juxtaposed to your outrageous wait time, I won some coins (to be posted later) from another Savoca Auction (LOVE:kiss: those folks. And if your listening Savoca, I do accept drachms for the product placement;)). I paid them Sunday night at around 5pm my time. By Wednesday morning at 10am they had fed ex'd the coins to my door! That's from Muenchen Germany to Utah in 2 and half days:jawdrop:
    Yeppers. I'm a Fed Ex and UPS guy in all situations possible.:cigar:

9. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Mind boggling!!!!

Ryro likes this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Ditto. Germany to the US Virgin Islands four days after the auction closed, via FedEx.

Impressively efficient!

Gitbud-Naumann (Pecunem) had the same speed. I miss them. Naumann still has very interesting selections but that move to Austria and the export license delays... bummer.

So far the one that takes the cake though, delay-wise, is Aureo. My one regrettable lot from their November 7th auction didn't ship until this week... and it looks like it is heading to the wrong country. D'oh. I provided the correct address. Not sure if was Aureo or their postal system but it's heading to a British island. The last time that happened the package eventually arrived... three or four months later... and I've already waited three months just for the coin to get into the mail. :mad:

11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Uggghhh, I hear you on Naumann and those blasted export license delays:punch:
    Aureo has got to be a start up. They are making the same tell tale mistakes, imo, that most auction houses make early (not taking PayPal. They are the reason I tried ((and loved)) transfer wire, long shipping delays, etc)
    Though I am still jacked about that auction of theirs that I got 3 BOSS RRs from. Seriously though. 3 of my favorite RRs for an AMAZING price just because they are a start up. I even remember having the extra anxiety of, will they really show up and will they look as they do in the pics. I waited several weeks...but when they showed up:artist::cigar::headphone::woot:

12. Volodya

Volodya Junior Member

Aureo has been around for 30 years. Not a start-up.

Ryro and Orielensis like this.
  13. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Another positive review here for Savoca. I paid and had the coin 3 days later. From Germany to Canada in 3 days is amazing.

Nicholas Molinari, Jay GT4 and Ryro like this.
  14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Only problem with FEDEX is that you get dinged at customs. I would rather wait 2+ weeks ad get my coin thru reg. mail service (registered). The other thing that causes delays is that some auction firms, wait till your bank cheque clears their bank, this takes 3 weeks. I won a coin from MDC/Monaco (AV 2 Doppie 1630 Philip IV Milan MS-64) that is now on the way to my house. Waiting is part of the fun:) That coin by the way, was unsold at 3000euros so I grabbed it. A steal!!!!

15. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

I usually defer to the dealer as to the method of shipment. One I have done business with one that sends the coins in regular mail. However, with some of the more expensive coins I have purchased I would prefer that they use Fed EX. Registered Mail is now something of a black hole. I have had registered mail sent from other countries simply left in my mail box even though it required a signature. I find that to be a little bit concerning especially in some cases I have waited for years to get some of these coins. It may be years before I see another. I view customs duties as the price of doing business.

16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have never lost one coin shipment since the debacle with CNG (Triton I) In plain terms that is 400 + registered letter, packets with AV coins over past 20 years. Problem with that CNG loss, when you declare value of 10K US/ commonsense dictates that it will go MIA. I have a friend high up in customs who I snowmobile with that told me of the thefts he investigated, but unions protect the bad apples.

Theodosius and Seattlite86 like this.
  17. TypeCoin971793

So the tracking number is now showing up as a duplicate. I’m wondering if a label had to be reprinted for my package.

18. Numisnewbiest

Numisnewbiest Well-Known Member

I am a former USPS carrier, too, and back when I was working we always dreaded a day when we had registered mail (US domestic) for our route. We had to sign for it at the security cage, and either come back with a signed receipt or the registered piece, or we were looking at big trouble. It also got scanned at sign-out, and scanned again as either having been delivered or as having been turned back in to the security cage. Registered mail was absolutely secured and signed for, every step of the way, right up to delivery, and it was treated like you were handling a million dollars in cash. It was "God help your soul if you lose a piece of registered mail".

I can't remember the procedure for international registered mail, but I don't remember it being anything even remotely as secure and accountable (or even noteworthy) as US domestic registered mail, so I'm guessing it wasn't handled with the same kid gloves. I left the USPS ten years ago, so maybe things are different now.

juris klavins likes this.
  19. TypeCoin971793

20. TypeCoin971793

I guess I can give up all hope that I will ever see those coins now. :(

21. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

I have been purchasing coins (about 12) from a fellow in India for the past two months. He always sends them "Registered" and they get put in my mailbox.
    This past week the letter carrier asked for a signature for the FIRST time. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted