So much for USPS’ most secure mailing service...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TypeCoin971793, Feb 9, 2019.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

I got this information from a USPS employee. Plus, practical experience has shown this to be the case. International Registered Mail is not locked up and signed for every step of the way like domestic Registered Mail, it is sent via the normal mail stream and is treated as First Class Mail.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

Never used USPS, but Canada Post tracking appears to not work at all for anything coming from out of country. Package leaves country of origin and completely disappears off the radar until it shows up at my door. Talking to a REAL person at Canada post is all but impossible if you have a question or complaint.

I've had a few coins go well over a month - even 6 weeks - at which point I start getting worried it's my turn for such an experience.
    I do hope it shows up for you OP..

4. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

I receive numerous coins from overseas as registered mail and they do leave tracking after they leave the country of origin. There is a site called 'Track-Trace' (Post/EMS tracking) which they say they can track international shipping from 181 countries. https://www.track-trace.com/post

If it is registered shipping, it is delivered to me with signature required. It is not just delivered in the mailbox. I don't know if it is secured in the post office safes en route.

5. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Let me guess. It went through ISC New York at J.F.K?

If so, that item may have passed through ISC New York using the no tracking handoff shell game that goes on between the USPS and the CBP. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual item actually got "lost" at JFK. It passed through right in time for some last minute "Christmas shopping".

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Nearly all of my tracked european packages (and I have had hundreds of them) were treated as domestic Registered Mail, requiring a signatrue and being locked up. I don’t know how many experiences led you to your conclusion.

7. TypeCoin971793

It initially passed through Nov 4. Well before the Christmas rush.

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

If it passed though Nov. 4 that would mean to me it was passed from the USPS to CBP on Nov. 4. As I am sure you are aware it can sit with CPB for weeks.

Anyway, good luck. Hope it shows up. My item was last scanned last March and I am still hoping it miraculously shows up one day. I spent years looking for it and having it go missing in the system really stinks.

9. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

What they should do and what actually happens are two different things. Published internal audits make that clear.

https://www.uspsoig.gov/document/registered-mail

When I tried to track down my missing item and spoke with my local postmaster, I think he was a little more open about the whole thing than he should have been. He told me that all of the tracking and registration is only as good as the people who are responsible for doing all of the sign offs and tracking required.

10. rg3

rg3 Well-Known Member

I worked as a USPS carrier. One way quick way to tell if something is not "registered mail" is to see if you paid less than $12.40 for shipping. That is the starting price for the domestic service. Just because you pay more does not guarantee it is registered (especially considering oversea transport charges). The relationships international POs have with the USPS vary. I assume for a package to get US "registered mail" treatment and insurance guarantees in two countries, you would be paying at least $25. In the US, registered mail has a little red tag with bar code. It is often mistaken\confused with "certified mail" (green tag and bar code). I think I remember delivering at least one package that was both registered and certified (since the sender wanted us to send a little postcard with the sendee's signature), to make things even more confusing. All of these adjectives mean very specific/different things (insurance wise).

-Also, sorry to hear about your troubles.-

11. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I have had only one registered letter go MIA. Sadly, it was a registered packet from CNG (Triton 1).....it had in it an FDC Aureus of Trajan Decius/ another one from Severus Alexander:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
    CNG could never find out where this ended up., their insurance also got a dead end in recovery investigation. Everything ended sorta well enough, CNG put my lost funds to use for their Triton II auction. I eventually, replaced my Severus Alexander coin, but so far not the Decius one.

12. benhur767

benhur767 Sapere aude

I'm still waiting for a coin sent by a German auction house, which was lost at the ISC New York in 2013. Fingers crossed LOL.

Muzyck likes this.
  13. TypeCoin971793

This stuff I know. I’ve sent Registered Mail before, both domestic and international. I actually had to correct one of the clerks one time when he pulled out the wrong tape for the Registered Mail.

The USPS website on my end and the computer services on USPS’ end (confirmed through calling them) both say the package was being treated as Registered Mail. And each previous package marked as such has been treated as such. However, the postage was always in the €5-15 range. I don’t know why USPS treats them as Registered Mail, but they do, and it gives me peace of mind.

rg3 likes this.
  14. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Perhaps my worst experience was with a coin I had bought from Nomos. I bought it in their November Auction in 2017. It was shipped with the correct address and postal code but instead of Canada the sender put U.S.A. OK. The coin went to NYC and bounced around the five boroughs for over 2 months went back to Switzerland back to the US for another week back to Switzerland and then at last to Canada. When I trained as a Canada Post employee I was told that basically all they would look at is the Postal Code so I really never understood why it spent so long in the US Oh Well I got it finally abdera3.jpg

Jay GT4, Theodosius, Orfew and 3 others like this.
  15. David Atherton

Hundreds of overseas shipments. Yes, you normally can track international registered mail and be required to sign for it, that doesn't mean it is secured every step of the way as domestic registered mail. Plus, like I mentioned before this is information provided by USPS.

NB: In USPS tracking the service listed is that of the originating country, not how it is treated once it is in the domestic mail stream.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  16. David Atherton

I was away from my computer when I posted the above. Here is the direct quote from the USPS website regarding International Registered Mail.

usps3.JPG
    I'm sorry you are missing your coin @TypeCoin971793, but probably the reason why you are is that it was not treated any different in the USPS than a utility bill, other than the fact it requires a signature.

17. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

David,
    I can only talk about the services that I use to ship items to the USA. I use Royal Mail, International Tracked & Signed"

The following is from Royal Mail

"International Tracked & Signed items are tracked in the UK and overseas with online confirmation of delivery provided. The item is only handed over once it has been signed for but we cannot provide a copy of the signature captured on delivery.Letters may be sent up to 100g, parcels up to 2kg and Printed Papers up to 5kg.

Compensation
    We may provide loss or damage compensation of up to £50 with proof of posting and evidence. International Tracked & Signed is also available with compensation cover up to £250.

Trackable
    International Tracked & Signed items are tracked in the UK and overseas. You can view progress of your item online right through to delivery."

Using this service I can track the item to the international border from the Royal Mail website and then step by step across the USA until final delivery and signature using the USPS website. All using the UK tracking number.

This service costs me about $15.

panzerman likes this.
  18. Silver Eagle

Silver Eagle Likes The Feel of Money

I retired from the U.S. Postal Service in 2002 as a carrier.
    At THAT time domestic Registered Mail was considered the MOST secure way of sending anything through the mail.

The reason for that is it MUST be signed by EACH PERSON who touched the piece all along the way. That way they can pinpoint the person who touched it last. As a carrier I always "sweated" when I TEMPORARILY misplaced a registered piece even for just minutes.

I sent a registered mail piece to an address which was 20 MILES from my house. It was NOT a valuable piece of mail but wanted to make sure the recipient received it in a timely manner. This was my FIRST EVER sending of a registered mail piece.

Don't you know it got lost. I filed a complaint and spoke to everyone I could think of who had some authority to do something. They finally found it and delivered it without giving me any details.

The U. S. Postal Service is like the Titanic, going down and going down slowly.

19. David Atherton

Royal Mail Tracked and Signed is also treated as First Class Mail by the USPS too, although a signature is required. Personally, I've never had any issues with it.

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That is a Registered Package tracking number. It must be signed for every time it changes hands or locations. I would call and file a complaint with your local District Office and the Postsl Inspection Service.

You also mentioned about USPS contacting you. That should be your local Post Office if you filed a complaint on line. They will do or say anything to close them as open complaints draw attention to that office.

21. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

While this is only slightly related to the issue. Most of you who have reached retirement age are aware that new Medicare cards were issued and sent to recipients recently. I received two emails telling me that I should have received my new card and to destroy the old one. I asked my wife about this and neither of us have received this new card. We called Social Security and dealt with a curt female individual who said she would take care of this. This took place about four weeks ago.

On that day, I finally logged onto my account after an hours worth of attempts, only to find that while my street address was correct, the city, state and Zip Code were not. I am wondering if this is is why I have not received my card. The curt young woman did not ask me to verify my address so I am guessing my new card was mailed to another state then returned to SSA as undeliverable.

Yes, I've been well aware that many bureaucrat jobs are nothing more than another entitlement program for the unskilled, but...

I commiserate with the OP as this sort of thing has happened to me with the USPS on more than one occasion.

Draft saved Draft deleted