So much for ICG grading

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1953, Jul 27, 2020.

1. 1953

1953 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I don't know...that photo looks totally photoshopped....at least the slab part.

1953 likes this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

ICG did not grade that coin. Just another trick photo.

Robert Ransom and 1953 like this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Agree.

6. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

SamuelFred1 and Robert Ransom like this.
  7. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

It's a legitimate ICG slab.

The photo isn't great and makes the toning look unattractive (it might be but we can't tell for certain). From what I can see, the coin looks fairly clean and is similar to other MS 68s I've seen from ICG. Now it might only go MS 66 or 67 at PCGS/NGC, but I don't see anything clearly wrong with the coin.

Maybe @Insider can also comment

Robert Ransom likes this.
  9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I already tried to look it up. Note that the seller left off back label with the coin # so I know nothing except:

I did not see this coin and I've never graded any Morgan dollar higher than 67.

It is a legitimate ICG slab. The graders remember this coin and said it was a colorful beauty in hand.

Personally, I don't like this kind :stinkyfeet: of toning. :p

micbraun and tommyc03 like this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I see the photo with the number, and they also included it in the auction details -- 7740620101. A shame there aren't photos on the cert verification page. ;)

I find "fingerprint smear" toning unsightly, but I assume from the grade that that's all this is -- that the luster is intact under the toning, and there are not big scuffs on the coin's surface.

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

My eyes aren’t what they once were, but the depth of that picture just doesn’t look right.

Draft saved Draft deleted