So I've noticed the there is no 1975 quarter made?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shrews1994, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Just the bicentennial quarter 1776-1976? Totally forgotten about 1975?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

No ma-am.... The bicentennial series was a big deal at the time. In fact that was when my coin collecting fires started burning. We hadn't seen a change in coin designs for a loooong time and got pretty fired up when the bicentennial series came out. The mint produced the bicentennial quarter for two years, 1975 and 1976. They produced billions of them.

Paddy54 and Shrews1994 like this.
  4. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

Thank you i I was wondering why this was. Lol

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They wanted the Bicentennial coins to have wide distribution and to make sure there were enough of them that they would be really available. In order to do this they began production in early 1975 withthe first coins, the half dollar< being released July 2nd 1975. They were soom followed by the quarter and then the dollar. But that meant that the 1975 quarter half and dollar would have less than half a years production and that THEY could potentially be low mintage or "rarities". (At that point in time the Mint and Treasury Dept were rather anti-collector and the last thing they wanted to do was produce anything that might be considered scarce.)

So in order to prevent that from happenong legislation was passed that allowed a date freeze on the quarter, half, and dollar, permitting the Mint to keep used the 1974 date thru July of 1975. So we have 1974 dated coins, and 1976 dated coins but no 1975 quarters, halves, or dollars.

NOS, Clawcoins, NSP and 2 others like this.
  6. Gregg

Gregg Monster Toning

I know you weren't around then but it was a rare 'leap year'.
    We skipped 1975 in order to keep the calendar in sync.

Won't happen again for another 100 years.

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The Bicentennial was a huge event. Much larger than the next event, the year 2000. So many items were made for the 1976 celebration you could collect them your entire life and never get close.

It was after all, the 200th anniversary of the nation. Due to the day the law authorizing the change in coinage was signed, the time it takes to design, agree on the design and make the dies, 1975 was half over. So no quarters, half dollars or Ike dollars were produced. There was enough coin in change to hold out.

In mid 1975 the Bicentennial coinage was being produced and production didn't stop until the end of 1976. This coinage, especially quarters, were so highly produced it's not uncommon to find them in change today.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  8. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I remember buying a 1975 mint set many years ago and opened it up and at first glance I thought I received a 1976 in error, lol.

9. khalil elara

khalil elara Active Member

10. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

The 3 coin Silver Bicentennial Proof Set was the first set of collectable coins that I ever purchased for myself starting my collecting hobby. I bought it at one of the gift shops in the Washington DC area on a trip there.Still have it in the original packaging.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Authorization was signed in Oct 1973, designs were selected in March 1974 Dies would have been ready well before 1974 ended. The legislation freezing the 1974 dates was signed Dec of 1974.

12. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

oh good, so I'm not 43 then.. whew, I thought I was getting old.

Gregg likes this.
  13. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

Oh crap, does that mean I never graduated from high school? ...well, too late to go back now ...oh wow, my diploma must be counterfeit....no what, it makes sense because there's a lot of things I can't remember from back then so maybe they didn't happen either....

Shrews1994 and Gregg like this.
  14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I used to have some bicentennial toilet paper from back then too. Original, in it's wrapper ... but ....or maybe I should say butt .....

I have the 3 coin silver and uncirc sets too though only bought in the last 20 years. :)

15. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

Is the white strip in the middle with the red and blue on the sides?

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

No, it looks like this: IMG_2808.JPG

17. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

That's it!! You stole my toilet paper .. :bored:

18. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Is your name... oh nevermind.

19. Taurus57

Taurus57 Active Member

I don't remember, remember?

CoinCorgi likes this.
  20. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

If you're gonna make a misinformation/joke post, shouldn't you at least indicate that it is???

21. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

I thought my jokes were the funniest ones - including the intentional ones !!!

Gregg likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted