So, is it really Alexander or just Herakles?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pavlos, Apr 12, 2021.

1. rg3

rg3 Well-Known Member

Carl Wilmont and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Whose portrait is on Greek owl coins , Alexander or Hercules ?

4. Curtis

Curtis Well-Known Member

Greek OWL coins? Many coins have owls, but do you mean the Athens Tetradrachm, like the type below:

CONSERVATORI-Athens Owl Tetradrachm #1 (Ex Burgan 1986) E2BW.png Athens Owl Tetradrachm #3.png Athens Owl Tetradrachm #2 E2BW.png

Just to double-check... Lemme know if I misunderstood.
    But if that's what you mean:

The "owl" (as it's nicknamed) does not depict Herakles or Alexander III. Instead, as un-feminine as it looks, the front of the coin depicts Athena [see Wikipedia for her story].

Athena: Greek goddess of warfare & wisdom, and patron deity for Athens. She tends to wear a crested helmet & earrings. On this coin type she's got weird Archaic bulge-y eyes (some people find them attractive), but she worked on that, and in later centuries developed much cuter features & also slimmed down a bit.

CONSERVATORI-Athens Owl Tetradrachm #1 (Ex Burgan 1986) E2BW.png

That's her creepy bug-eyed pet owl.
    Actually, the "Owl of Athena" is a divine "attribute" of Athena -- a totem, symbol representing her qualities, and so it also became the "badge" or emblem of the city, Athens.

Athens Owl Tetradrachm #3.png

I'm not sure if she ever revealed whether the owl was male, female, or other. Or ever revealed its name. I suspect it's a female owl named Larry. And Athena's wisdom & strength come from eating Larry's eggs for breakfast every morning.

Athens Owl Tetradrachm #2 E2BW.png

(That owl had its acting debut in the movie Clash of the Titans (1981, not 2010), which is why I became fascinated with this type and made it my first ever ancient coin purchase -- possibly second purchase, the other being an Alexander the Great Tetradrachm, both in the late 1980s Paris.)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
    Carl Wilmont and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted