So if I say "BUYING Early Dollars", you automatically think of <insert dealer's name here>?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dougmeister, May 11, 2017.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Who are the "go-to" dealers when you're looking for a lower-grade, problem-free Draped Bust Dollar?

What names pop into your mind?

Even if they usually deal in higher-grade coins (to me, in this case, that means Fine or above), they might occasionally come across lower-grade stuff.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

"Early Dollars"? The first thing I think of is pre 1850. The next thing I think of is: they have grace and style, wonderfully designed coins, something we don't have today. A dealer doesn't even pop into my thoughts. :)

Dougmeister likes this.
  4. Dougmeister

Title changed to help your minds focus a little more... ;-)

Collecting Nut likes this.
  5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

None I just look around. If eBay has it they have it, if a dealer does they do. I find better results not have super focused source searches unless you are looking to something extremely expensive.

6. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Well, those coins aren't in my wheelhouse. But within what I do collect, I check out all the dealers I have bought from, Collectors Corner (they sometimes list coins there not on their site), the auctions of Heritage, David Lawrence and Great Collections and, of course, eBay.

Few stones left unturned in trying to find the right one -- and pinch a few bucks in the process.:D

7. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

First name that pops into my mind (mostly because I have bought a lot of early halves from him) is Dick Osburn http://www.dickosburn.com/.

8. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

I have purchased mine through Heritage, Park Avenue, and Gary Adkins....all are choice vf with really nice (to me) eye appeal. lf.jpg lf(2).jpg

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Gary Adkins recently merged with David Lawrence. Pity. Separately, they were two strong dealers.

10. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Brian Greer occasionally has early dollars (a quick check of his inventory shows one), and it rotates with some regularity.

Dougmeister likes this.
  11. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Moe's Pawn Shop
    4th and Shunk
    Phila., PA.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

LMAO!! Have a great day Doug. :)

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Alibaba, they sell a LOT of them. :)

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  14. Dougmeister

Dang it. I forgot to add "genuine" and "not fakes that aren't stamped 'COPY'" in my title... ;-)

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  15. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

Herbscoinshop - Ebay. I like it - what I believe was a very fair price to begin with and he negotiated a bit! I especially like the quality of the reverse strike. "lower grade" is relative I suppose. To me VF is lowest acceptable collector grade - but that's just me.

1799 $1 NGC VF35 CAC composite.jpg

16. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Whomever you purchase from, I suggest a graded example, unless you really know the series, due to counterfeits

17. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

Nice original coin...these are getting harder and harder to find!

18. Dougmeister

@fiddlehead and @DBDc80, nice coins! Wondering how much you paid for those? You can PM me if you want, or post here.

Draft saved Draft deleted