So I tried making a wax intaglio of Trajan...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JayAg47, Sep 7, 2020.

1. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

...and it ended up being Pupienus, it's safe to say I need a lot of practice :D Tra.png
    This is the coin I tried emulating
    tr.jpg
    And came out similar to this,
    p.jpg
    If anyone wondering, the tools were nothing but a screwdriver!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Looks like the Visigothic interpretation of Honorius tbh.:D

Not my coin
    647AFD7E-B72E-4E76-9BD6-B78C1D419C93.jpeg

Marsyas Mike, Spaniard, Ryro and 6 others like this.
  4. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

I'll take that!

Magnus Maximus likes this.
  5. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Well, don't despair. Many a barbarous celator didn't start much better:

Rom – Barbarous Radiate, Tetricus, unclear reverse (neu).png
    "Tetricus I," Roman Empire, barbarous radiate, late 3rd century AD, unofficial mint in Gaul or Britain. Obv: IMI TE[...]CVS PF A[...], bearded, radiate head r. Rev: weak barbarous pattern, maybe figure with cornucopiae. 14–15mm, 1.92g.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

If you engraved the mold from scratch with nothing more than a screwdriver, I am still very impressed with the results!

JayAg47 and TIF like this.
  7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That's pretty impressive. Much better than anything I could ever do. And MUCH better than some barbarous coins I've seen :p

JayAg47 likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Indeed. You could've shown those "barbarous" celators a thing or two!

(*And hey, if you popped a few good hallucinogens, you might have even been up to Celtic standards!) ;)

JayAg47 and furryfrog02 like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks like you had fun!

These are the first known coins from ancient Tiffily, a small now-submerged ancient island nation somewhere off the west coast of Anatolia. The exact location is being withheld to prevent opportunists from disturbing the historic site. Dive teams are methodically excavating the city. In addition to coins and the usual remains of ancient civilizations, engraved tablets have also been found and archaeologists are currently working on transcriptions. Apparently, these tablets record the history of Tiffily, including myths and religious beliefs.

To date, several coins have been found at the underwater dig site. All have the same iconography: a winged iguana which the researchers have dubbed "Iguanasus". Hopefully, translation of the texts will reveal more details about this mysterious creature and Tiphonian culture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TIFFILY, Tiphonia
    c. 5th century BCE

AR18, 7.4 gm, and AR 17, 7.4 gm
    Obv: Forepart of winged iguana left
    Rev: Monogram within dotted square, incuse
    Ref: SNG Tiffily 1 and 2, respectively
    This, and one other of similar size and weight, are puzzling. Metallurgic analysis shows them to be 99.9% silver yet they are somewhat porous. Perhaps the copper leached out over the centuries. These three coins are thought to be older than the rest. However, the dies are quite similar. Current thinking is that coins 1-3 were cast rather than struck.

[​IMG]
    TIFFILY, Tiphonia
    c. 5th century BCE

AR 16, 6.0 gm
    Ref: SNG Tiffily 4
    This coin is missing from the research lab and it is feared that an unscrupulous member of the archaeology team has sold it on the black market.

[​IMG]

TIFFILY, Tiphonia
    c. 5th century BCE

AR 16, 7.5 gm
    Ref: SNG Tiffily 5
    Most of the coins, including this one, are of terrible workmanship. One would think that these mint workers had no idea what they were doing. Clearly there was no quality control.

[​IMG]
    TIFFILY, Tiphonia
    c. 5th century BCE

AR tetradrachm (Rhodian standard), 15 gm
    Ref: SNG Tiffily 10
    This coin is also missing and feared sold.

Metallurgic analysis reveals that all Tiphonian coins found so far are an alloy of 90% silver and 10% copper, except for SNG Tiffily 1-3, which are 99.9% silver.

These were from a fantasy ancient endeavor a few years ago. I was too impatient to order some chunks of mild steel (for the dies) so I went to the hardware store and bought the biggest hex bolts I could find, cut off the heads, and used them. Striking them was comically hard. Flans were squirting out all over the place. I hope someday someone in the Virgin Islands finds one of my lost flyers :D.

[​IMG]

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I would love to have one of the Tiphonia coins but it is the sort of thing I would want slabbed. I would not waste time sending it to NGC (aka the Got a Clue Crew) but if you could get one in a less reputable piece of plastic, preferably complete with CACA label, I would consider it ready for prime time.

Don't cut off the bolt threads and insert the lower die in a fitting size piece of pipe. drop in die, blank and die and let the sledgehammer have its way.

JayAg47, furryfrog02 and TIF like this.
  11. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Credit to you bud, if I turned that out on a first attempt I'd be as pleased as punch. Well done!

TIF, those are amazing. Love it.

JayAg47 and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted