So, I Started Collecting Jeffersons Nickels

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bkozak33, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The real money in Jefferson nickels are the varieties . You want to build a set start with the varieties. I have two complete sets all MS coins,and one proof set.

bkozak33 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Not all of them. These come from a set that i bought from Greg about a year or so ago. Some in the group are proofs, but many are business strikes.
    Jeffersons.JPG

gbroke, Paul_62, Jwt708 and 1 other person like this.
  4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Many people don't know that up until this time, there has never been a complete set assembled of full step Jefferson Nickels.

It's something that eventually, some person will accomplish, but until then, there is an as yet unconquered mountain out there.

bkozak33, you should talk to Lehigh about Jeffersons. Paul is one of the most knowledgeable people that I have ever known on the series and he can share a wealth with you on the subject.

In fact, much of his knowledge is archived here on CoinTalk if you know how to use the search feature. ;)

He also knows the keys to correctly grading them.

bkozak33 likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Better call Saul (Paul). :)

bkozak33 likes this.
  6. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I love the toning on those coins. I'd take the original skin over full steps any day. BTW the 51d is seriously cool.

miedbe7 and bkozak33 like this.
  7. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Yep the 51-D is by far my favorite. A Woody Jefferson.

8. redcent230

redcent230 Well-Known Member

9. 2schnauzers2luv

2schnauzers2luv Junior Member

Very nice. My favorite is the 42-D. Been working on my toned set for years. Only 1 coin to go.....1972-P. Hardest coin to find ever for me.

gbroke likes this.
  10. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Welcome to the club B! You got some killer Jeffies. Keep em coming and drive up the values for those of us with a few of their own...

rev1774 and spirityoda like this.
  11. Greensawmill

Greensawmill Member

I especially like the 47-D MS65+ with the rainbow halo on the obverse. Very nice!

12. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I'll have to see if I have a 1972 toner I can send you. I accumulated hundreds of 1972 mint sets in search of the mythical 1972-d Type-B (proof die) Washington Quarter. There must be a Jeffie toner in there somewhere.

2schnauzers2luv likes this.
  13. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I didn't waste my time clicking the like tab on these because I love and em and didn't have a Love em option. Nice start keep us updated.

geekpryde likes this.
  14. Mark Muskovich

Mark Muskovich New Member

I love the collection of toned Jeffersons. This is a coin series that I just recently started to enjoy, having bought a decent set of toned Jeffersons at an estate sale. But being new to Jefferson collecting, I was wondering if you could explain how does one tell the difference between an MS issue and a Proof issue for the same year (ex. a MS65 1938 and a PR65 1938). I've been doing some research on line and have had no luck finding an good answer.

15. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Proof strikes are struck more than once giving them very fine detail. They will usually have mirrored surfaces. I'm not sure that this answers your question fully, but if you have more, ask away.

16. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The mirrored surfaces are usually the giveaway. The detail will be very sharp, and the edges of the coin will also be sharp vs the circulation strike coins which have more rounded edges.

17. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Sellers remorse :(

[​IMG][​IMG]

NSP, bkozak33 and Paddy54 like this.
  18. Paddy54

Is this one sold on coinzip.com ?

19. Paddy54

That 62 proof is wild as most of one's I have is a pastel candy cotton color.

20. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

Wow, great looking coins!

21. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Yes it is...

Draft saved Draft deleted