So I put a Half Dollar on a hot woodstove for 18 hours (Experiment)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MontCollector, Nov 26, 2017.

1. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I know I am going to hear it from the nay sayers. So let me say I am not trying to hide the fact that I artificially toned this coin. If I ever sell or trade it I will disclose how this coin was toned.

I have tried this is the past with modern copper nickel coins. Most came out looking bad. This time I tried it on a 1967P Kennedy Half Dollar(40% silver) I got as change a while back.

This is what 18 hours sitting on a hot wood stove will do to a 40% Kennedy Half dollar. 1967Kennedy.jpg

While I didn't think to take before photos, this coin had no toning and a little of its original luster left. I would say low AU

Curtisimo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Cooked...........

19Lyds, asheland and spirityoda like this.
  4. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I guess there is not much entertainment on a cold winter's night in Montana. :D

Santinidollar and dwhiz like this.
  5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

What kind of wood?

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

upload_2017-11-26_20-30-55.jpeg

Endeavor, asheland, NSP and 9 others like this.
  7. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Kind of cool! Nice experiment!

Thanks,
    Jacob

8. MontCollector

I agree. Looks a little brown.I think it is from sitting directly on the stove. Kinda wondering how it would turn out if I could suspend it just above the surface of the stove.
    Mostly red fir.

9. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

That looks cool, artificially toned or not!

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I think it's against the law to cook coins... get rid of the evidence and this thread! :wacky:

Rick Stachowski and green18 like this.
  12. green18

Mr. Mont,

I'm sure your intentions are pure, and that you will not try to deceive others in the sale of such a piece. The wildly colored specimens seem to be an fascination for many........

13. green18

I wish........ devil.gif

Nope, she's a very pure and proper Lady.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  14. green18

Cook the Books.......that's what get's ya in real trouble Paddy. :) This sort of thing is childs play and way under the radar. :)

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oh, what to do with such a straight line...

Fallguy likes this.
  16. MontCollector

?? I didn't melt or deface it. Just heated it up a little. It is still perfectly spendable.

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. MontCollector

I have had a problem buying toned coins and then they turn out to be AT. I do this kind of stuff as an experiment on my own so I can spot AT better. I only do this on common circulated modern coins and I have never sold any of them. This one is my 1st silver coin I have ever tried.

Sometimes, if the coin came out looking kinda neat, I will share a photo of what the coin came out like. I show it as a teaching tool to let others who like and buy toned coins know how easy it can be to fake the toning.

green18 likes this.
  18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's not your intentions that concern some of us. It is the less-than-honest people who take possession of this coin once you have disposed of it. I've got an idea! Why don't you use a Dremel tool to etch "AT" into the surface of the coin?

Chris

Beefer518 likes this.
  19. Sundance79

Sundance79 Active Member

At this point the real test would be to send it in to either NCG or PCGS and see what they think it is. I would hope they would say it was artifically toned. But you never know.

Fallguy likes this.
  20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

You could send it to Ed Wood's group. :)

Beefer518, Santinidollar, NSP and 5 others like this.
  21. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I like it. :) And quite frankly, anyone who would be fooled by that color arrangement needs to be paying for their education anyways.

alurid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted