So I picked up this 1899 Big Chief 5 Dollar note at the OKC coinshow...

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Jason Hoffpauir, May 15, 2016.

1. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Greetings,

I picked this note at the OKC coin show a couple of weeks ago. I love it; but when I got home I went to the PCGS Paper Money site and could not find the certification. I don't know if I am inputting correctly. Can anyone help me find out if this is authentic or did I get scammed. All remarks are greatly appreciated and welcomed. Thank you and enjoy what remains of your weekend.

20160514_125930.jpg 20160514_125932.jpg 20160514_130147.jpg 20160514_130201.jpg 20160514_130205.jpg 20160514_130225.jpg 20160514_130257.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    Vess1 and MEC2 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

4. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Ahh...I see know...it is the first time I tried to enter the certification number and I didn't use the number on the back of the bill. Can I ask a question of you? The grade Very Fine 20 (Apparent Small Repairs) does this make the value of the bill drop significantly? Does it make non-genuine? I am new to the Paper Money forum and am trying to learn the most I can from the members of these forums. Thanks.

5. SteveInTampa

First, the note is genuine.
    Second, the note is a what I call a "problem" note.
    Personally, I would want an example without a problem and preferably a note with original paper qualities. Usually notes in holders with an "Apparent" or "Net" notation sell for less than a similar note without the notation. Your note was sold at a Heritage Tuesday Night Auction in January 2015 for $493.

http://currency.ha.com/itm/silver-c...1504-84546.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

mikep likes this.
  6. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

I always liked those.
    It would not be in that holder if it were not genuine.

7. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

Ah, the Chief has suckered many a first time collector into picking him up. Same with the Buffalo. I think it was the Buffalo that first got me interested in collecting, but the Chief was right there with the Buffalo, as those crafty injuns are wont to do...

I like the note, it's absolutely authentic and a nice example, even with the repairs. Can you see the repairs? Probably not. The apparent notation can affect value but on a VF20 on a common note, with the note being for "small repairs" it's more for clarity's sake, I doubt there's much of a value loss, at that level on a high demand note, it's usually about eye appeal. And I think it has fine eye appeal for the grade. As long as you didn't pay for an investment grade (if there is such a thing...) note, I say nice pickup!

8. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

9. SteveInTampa

Very nice note Clay.

You will notice, that as the grade (and price) rises, the paper appears cleaner and whiter, and the blue FIVE and seal appear bluer, and you can see more of the details of the center vignette (CHIEF). All of these elements improve general eye appeal. I will always recommend that you should be patient, learn as much as possible, and save and save to purchase problem free examples with great eye appeal......especially the great iconic notes, Chiefs, Buffaloes, Educational series, etc.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted