Featured So I Got a New Job At a New Store... The Finds So Far...

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by killswitch95, Jun 11, 2020.

1. killswitch95

killswitch95 Member

So I got a job at a new store in early March (Better pay/hours/yada yada who cares) and I've been eagerly going through the rolls in this 'New Territory' scoping out the rolls, looking through the bills people bring in and seeing if this step up in the job market translated to a step up in my hobby as well...

I gotta say, for the first three months I'm not disappointed...

5+ War Nickels (I find those a lot regardless of the store)
    50+ Wheats (I don't know what bank we use, but I love it)
    1 Silver Dime (They pop up from time to time)

But the finds of the job so far...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The elusive Buffalo Nickel... I got two Shield Nickels at my last job and between the two about $1.00 face of War Nickels but I could never find that Buffalo... Until about two weeks ago...

[​IMG]
    Is that... No... Not out of a roll of BU 2020's...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    IT IS! The one coin in a roll of 2020's that wasn't a 2020 and it was a 1909...
    Sweet...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Cracked open another penny roll to find... A Silver Edge?... Yup...
    A 50% Silver Edge to be exact, a 1936 British Six Pence... Nice...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Saw the Reverse facing as an ender and knew I had to open the roll, 1945 King George VI Canadian Cent... Nice finding an old Foreign...

Speaking of Canadians, the Canadians are invading!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And finally, an older gentleman came in one day to put some gas in his old Impala (Very nicely maintained and the only car at the pumps at the time) it was later in the evening so I guess he was cruising for the day and said 'Gimme $10 gas on the Impala' and handed me these two beauties...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I told him that these were worth way more than $10 and he said 'I know, I've had them for years but no one to pass them on too... 'They should really be retired *Wink*' Pretty obviously trying to pass down his collection somehow, told him I'd give them a good home and here they are...

So yeah, really liking my new job at the moment...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Question.. Management has no issue with you looking through all their money? o_O

4. killswitch95

killswitch95 Member

No for a couple of reasons:

A) The manager also picks out silver and old bills when she finds them...
    B) They know I don't play with my money...

I say my money because if it comes up short it comes out of my pay so it's better if I don't play around with my pay check and keep things straight. I'm one of the few people they trust that when I'm alone on a shift and I see something I want to buy that I'm going to buy it and not just pocket it...

Not risking my job over a few cents or a few dollars is how I look at it, and they understand and appreciate that, so they give me a pass...

Plus I buy all the foreign's so it helps them keep their tills full of US money...

Same thing with the bills as well, without using the pen or uv light I know the other security features of the 90's series (Our auto safe only accepts series 1990 (or 93) and later anyway) and newer bills so they bring the older ones to me to check since we don't have a pen/light and they don't want to risk dropping bad money (Even though the safe wouldn't take it in the first place if it was)

Anything older than that and either I buy them, or I set them aside for the boss, or if they're really bad just give them out as change because they safe won't take them anyway...

Basically they don't care as long as I keep my register straight...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    manny9655 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I have 3 years of cashier experience!
    Any openings there? :woot:

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I'll take the night shift!

7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nice coins find! Just be careful and aware of the rules regarding such at this job. Your collection is not worth the job loss.

8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

In high school i worked the cafeteria cashier stand. I asked the manager to swap out a total of 2 worthless star-$1 notes.

A student tried to pay with a 1969(?) $10 bill. Unfortunately I didn't have any cash on hand so I couldn't swap out.

Never saw any good coins.

9. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Great finds!!

10. adelaide888

adelaide888 Active Member

Wow! Amazing finds! :wideyed:

11. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Okay, now THAT is is freakin' great!

Imagine if it had an "S," ...aw, man.

12. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

That's seems fun to do when you work. Good finds.

13. Scrooge's Silver

Scrooge's Silver New Member

Excellent! I am jealous!

Draft saved Draft deleted