So...I caught my first Coin Thief!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by The Penny Lady®, Feb 15, 2009.

1. The Penny Lady®

The Penny Lady® Coin Dealer

I thought I'd post a bit about how the Bakersfield show went at the Red Lion Inn, but the high (or low) light of the show ended up being that I caught a guy stealing some of my coins from my lower end coin notebooks. I've had coins stolen from me at shows and I usually don't discover it until I do an inventory (recently, I had over $700 in certified errors cents stolen from my table), and it makes me so very angry that these sneaks get away with my coins practically from right under my eyes, but they are really good at their "trade" and usually have a partner to help distract the dealers. Well, I don't think this guy had a partner, nor do I understand why he was taking such a risk on only relatively cheap coins (total of $40 worth).

This is what happened. It was Saturday, the last day of the coin show, and I saw this guy looking through my lower-priced Lincoln notebooks and remove a few coins from the sleeves to get a closer look, as people usually do. I was working this show by myself so my attention was diverted to other customers and when I looked back, this guy had moved down the aisle to another table (probably about 15 feet away). However, since I didn't see him put the coins back in their sleeves, I decided to keep an eye on him as he looked through the other dealer's notebooks and, sure enough, when he thought no one was looking, I saw him peer above his glasses, quickly look around, and slip a coin out of the sleeve and slyly put it in his pocket. I didn't want him to get away, so I quietly retrieved the security guard and told him what happened.

The security guard went over to this 60-ish guy and asked him to see what was in his pocket. The guy pulled out 5 coins, and said that they were from the book he was currently browsing through, but the dealer at that table only recognized 2 of the coins as being his. That's when I walked over and saw that the other 3 coins were mine! I immediately told the security guard that I wanted this guy arrested and that I would definitely press charges. The thief tried to talk to me to "explain," but I wouldn't listen to any of that. He then offered me 3 times what the coins were worth to not press charges (I couldn't believe it when he pulled out his wallet and showed me that he had plenty of money!!!), but I was really angry at this guy and again I said no way, that I wanted him to go to jail!

The security guard asked me if I was sure I wanted to press charges since it meant I would most likely have to return to Bakersfield, and I said absolutely, that this guy probably stole coins from others and will probably do it again, that at least he would have this charge on his record, whether or not he actually spent time in jail. So the security guard called the local police, who showed up, talked to the thief, took him outside, handcuffed him, and put him in the police car while he took the security guard's and my statements. Then, after speaking to his commander, the officer simply wrote the thief a citation to appear in court since it was only a misdemeanor, and released him.

The show promoter who, by the way, was the other dealer from whom I saw the thief steal coins, decided not to press charges since he knew I was already pressing charges (let me say that, although I strongly disagree with his refusing to press charges, I understand since I know it can be time consuming should the case end up going to trial). The show promoter did take a picture of the thief and promised to post it and pass it around to other dealers.

Any way, that's my first personal experience with a thief. I must say that it is very disconserting and aggravating to have this happen, and pretty much spoiled my day, but I look at it as a lesson learned and promised myself to pay much more attention to my "lesser valued" coins since those are the ones out in the open and much more subject to "disappearing."

By the way, understandably, people seemed to not want to spend their money and the show was not that profitable for me, but I do plan to set up at the September show to see if it is any better, since there are no other coin shows within that region and I'm hopeful things will turn around.

1 person likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

You go girl, lol

RIGHT ON. Glad that you are taking the time and effort to out this guy officially and legally, and I love the idea of his picture being shown around.

Charmy, the " Pit Bull ";)

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's really cool. I hope they charged him with possession of stolen property and not just theft. From what you describe he could beat the theft charge with only you filing charges.

5. The Penny Lady®

I'm not sure what they charged him with on the citation, though I know it was a misdemeanor. I did get the case number and the name of the officer so I will follow up in about a week and see what the status is, and will find out what he is charged with. I will post it when I find out.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That promoter would tend to scare me off. He is the one hiring the security and he should be the one filing charges.

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Since it is a misdemeanor (value of items under $300...may change from state to state) the charge was most likely shoplifting, or petty theft.....other charges come to mind....

If I were you I would put in a call to the county DA and find out when the hearing will be, and if you need to show up for the case or not. I would guess that he will just have the pay a fine as alot of our jails are full.

Too bad you couldn't keep an eye on him until he had $301 worth of coins on him :D

Speedy

8. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

Kudos Penny Lady!

If people are too "busy" to press charges then people like this will continue on their merry way to steal more.

9. Dollar1948

Dollar1948 New Member

You know its deadbeats like that, that ruin it for everybody else.
    I love the flexibility of looking through my favorite dealers books without being gawked at and scruitnized. I can be trusted, but thats only with the dealers I have patronized for years.
    I get such an uncomfortable feeling being watched over ever second when I am looking at a new dealers inventory, but in the back of my mind I know why it has to be that way.
    Congrats Penny Lady for not taking this lying down...nail this deadbeat to the wall if you can

10. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Good job. The way to end theft is to make it unthinkable to steal from you.

11. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

The petty theft took place in California, so the limit would be at $400. Regardless, if this person has a prior misdemeanor conviction, then it would be a felony theft (petty theft with a prior) that could very well result in a year in county jail. If this is his first conviction, then he will have a fine, restitution, community service, and informal probation.

Most definitely do this as well as press the DA on the issue of whether or not this guy has a prior and should be charged with a felony.

It's good to see that people still stand up to wrongdoing today. Too many people just turn the eye and ignore problems in our society. Good job! :thumb:

12. The Penny Lady®

Thanks for all your kudos. After talking to other dealers, I am a bit surprised that pressing charges doesn't seem to be the norm - most would rather not bother, especially if the thief says he'll pay for the coins - wow, that just seems counter-intuitive to me! Why would the thief stop stealing if all he has to do is pay for the coins??

The security guard told me the guy does have some priors (shoplifting I think) because they pressed him to tell them, and the officer said they'd find out any way. The officer also told me there would be a hearing in a couple weeks where the thief has to appear - I'm assuming this is where he'll be have to plea one way or the other, unless he works out a plea agreement first. I do plan on trying to contact the DA in a week or so, after they get the paperwork and hearing date set, and let them know that I will do whatever they need to make sure this guy gets a conviction for this. (as a side note, up until last September, I was a fulltime litigation paralegal and have worked with the courts quite extensively, though I haven't worked in criminal law in several years.)

13. MrOrganic

MrOrganic Senior Member

Now I am especially grateful to of met you today! It is warming to see someone with the fortitude to do what must be done even in the face of something as "uncomfortable" as pressing charges, follow-up, maybe taking time off to go to court etc

MrO

Great work M

14. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Don't wait--call the DA now and later. If you wait it might get pushed under the table...

Because the press charges there will be paper work, and most people don't want to go through that. Also, alot of people don't want to show up in court, or in some cases, hire a lawyer.

NPcoins--
    Thanks for the detail--that is alittle different than here in KY I believe

Speedy

15. KomkaCoins

KomkaCoins Member

I am glad you pressed on! I know a lot don't and you can see why they do not stop stealing.

Side: It has only been getting worse with people trying to steal recent year. It's amazing people try and steal right in front of you (been there no fun). They need to be in jail!!

16. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

A big kudos to you Penny Lady! Good going!! :thumb:

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing.

In this case, good women. :D :thumb:

Phoenix :cool:

17. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Keep track of your time, mileage and expenses for this and you should be able to get reimbursed for your time. Proud of you for standing up while others stepped back.

18. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

19. Boss

Boss Coin Hoarder

Right oh. You go!!

20. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Way to go Penny Lady! People like that thief need to be made an example of. He obviously doesn't see it as being a 'real' crime.

21. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Why on earth the shows promoter woudnt file charges is beyond me, the more people who do the better. I was at a show this weekend here in London and it was great to be able to browse through trays n books withouth having to worry, but if this sort of behaviour persists and they are allowed to get away with it then who would blame dealers for putting all there stock behind glass. I applaud your actions and also your vigilance :hug: Point out to the DA just how much stock you can loose dur to people like him (the thief) and also I would drop a big hint that you intend to write a piece for a BIG coin mag about the outcome :whistle:

Draft saved Draft deleted