So I bought a hoard...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Muhammad Niazi, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

I bought this hoard of nice uncleaned silver and copper billon, possibly ummayad sindh coins.

According to the seller, these 205 coins were found in one jar and contains some unreported types.

I am interested in doing research on these coins, how does one go by researching a fresh hoard of coins? And if there are unreported varieties, how to catalogue them?

IMG-20191020-WA0043.jpg IMG-20191020-WA0044.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Nice project ! I see one possible Ghaznavid fraction, and lots of probable Sindh coppers and billons.
    First thing to do would be to bring your knowledge on these to the current standard. So buy the recent Fishman catalog on the Dammas of Sindh as a first thing i would advise.

4. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Following @THCoins advice, use the latest catalogue and, if the new coins you encounter are variants of some listed in the book, catalogue them as whatever number they are in the book but add 'var' to the end (i.e., if a coin is 112 in a book, it'll be 112var.). Then you can look into publishing the new ones somewhere like Koinon! Looks like a fun group to work with, enjoy it!

Muhammad Niazi and Theodosius like this.
  5. Muhammad Niazi

Looked up the book, Loved how its 2x the price of the lot I bought :woot:
    Im sure its definitely worth it though.

Also I just saw the thread about uncleaned coins, I am guessing this hoard is an example of a great uncleaned lot.

6. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Wow, that is a very cool find, Muhammad!

Great job locating that. :)

Make sure to get good pictures of each coin.

John

Muhammad Niazi likes this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Nice pick up Muhammad. Good luck attributing all of them.

8. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

One of my favorite parts of collecting is identifying coins I've not seen before. I hope you keep us posted on your findings. Also, I hear ya on book prices. Sometimes there's PDFs online...

Theodosius and Muhammad Niazi like this.
  9. Muhammad Niazi

Tried that haha. :(

Will definitely keep everyone posted about it!!

Also do you guys think I should leave them in the condition they are (which is farely nice) or try to clean them. I havent tried cleaning silver or billon before.

Ryro likes this.
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I sure don't. Those things have some BEAuuuutiful patinas. Unless you come across some BD, imo, they look great the way they are.

TIF likes this.
  11. SeptimusT

SeptimusT Well-Known Member

Yes, do not try further cleaning unless they have bronze disease or if one is completely encrusted (nothing to lose at that point, but none I see look like they fall into that category).

12. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Those are some very interesting coins, @Muhammad Niazi ! Keep us posted of your progress.

13. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

I would advice against cleaning in this case. The coins have been cleaned before (and it looks like a wax has been applied?), and are nicely patinated. There are some green and crusty coins which might benefit from slight cleaning, but cleaning bronze or billion coins is notoriously difficult.

Muhammad Niazi and TIF like this.
  14. HoldingHistory

HoldingHistory Active Member

Agree with above, the only thing to really clean off these is the patina. What is left for encrustation is probably best left alone, they are really nice as is.

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree with others. These coins have already been cleaned and look fine as-is.

16. Muhammad Niazi

Some interesting rectangular bits which seem blank?. One of them has some vertical and horizontal lines.

IMG-20191104-WA0088.jpg
    IMG-20191104-WA0087.jpg

17. Muhammad Niazi

This ones the only silver looking one. I am guessing this is the ghaznavid fraction? @THCoins

Obverse has the typical legend inside circle surrounding by a bordering legend.

The reverse had dirt ebcrusted on it. used a toothpick to clean most of it off to reveal the legend.
    Also spot a border legend surrounding the central.

Now the hard part is making sense of this bubbly legend.
    IMG-20191104-WA0085.jpg IMG-20191104-WA0086.jpg

18. THCoins

I would guess that the center text in the first picture of your silver specimen reads "Al-Sultan / al-a'zam". So the text on the other side is the important one for attribution.

19. Muhammad Niazi

So Ive tried to make sense of the coins by drawing them out. This is what I have so far. The coins usually have a border with dots arranged in the border, numbering from 3 to 9.
    Some coins are Random dots scattered around on both sides. In other words, these coins are Wack.

Heres what Ive drawn till now.
    IMG-20191106-WA0008.jpg
    The x mark is due to nothing being visible on the reverse.

Here is coin number 8.
    IMG_20191106_145443.jpg

TIF, Volodya, Theodosius and 4 others like this.
  20. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

That looks like great fun, @Muhammad Niazi ! It reminds me of when I purchased a hoard of Judaean prutot.

600.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  21. THCoins

Great effort Muhammad !
    The "Dots within square" types are quite typical for the Sindh coppers of the period. With your large hoard you have the rare possibility to group different specimen, as a single specimen often will not allow reliable reading.

Here a similar one which i have had for a long time (11 mm, 1.47 gr):
    SindhMultanWeb.jpg

Johndakerftw and Volodya like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted