SO FAR GOT 5 WEXLER ATTRIBUTIONS ON HOMESTEAD QUARTERS!!!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by keemao, Sep 2, 2015.

1. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

Checked today to see if any of the quarters I had sent in had been attributed by Mr. Wexler. I have the newest 5 Wexler die varities listed that I sent in. Still have about 7 more, one NC state coin and a couple Kisatchie just to make sure and a few more Homestead. I am pretty stoked to have some of mine listed!! They are WDDR-78 through 82.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

4. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

Verry cool congrats !

If you do get double die Kisatchie and Blue Ridge they might be the first discovery pcs because i don't see any of them listed yet .

:cool:

http://doubleddie.com/1467540.html

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm curious, and I hope someone can answer this for me. Is it really worth it to have these minor varieties attributed when the major grading services won't recognize them?

Chris

6. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

For me, it's the fun of the hunt, finding one, not seeing it listed by Wexler and after sending it to him, seeing those attributed to me. It's just kind of cool. It's too bad NGC and PCGS won't attribute all these varieties. At NGC, $15 a pop on top of grading fee is a given money maker for them. But then again, I was told earlier this year they were having the best quarter ever in terms of gross $$$ so maybe they just think it's a nuisance to do something like that. They could just hire a person or two to check them and grade them. Wexler does all the work making sure they are what you hope they are and assigning a number to them.

Thanks for the congrats!

7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Coin-Dude likes this.
  8. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

NGC refuses to attribute these for the same reason that they refuse to attribute most Morgan VAM's. They're too darned insignificant and are a dime a dozen. In the long run, only one person is making any money off of them. Think about it!

Chris

bdunnse and Jwt708 like this.
  11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think is the thrill of hunting for them then being acknowledged for the discovery? Good, harmless fun. Am I right?

silentnviolent and jay4202472000 like this.
  12. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

Right you are. Thats all its about, you have nothing to loose only if you start spending money on error coins. Its the perfect hobby.

13. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

It's always cool to have the first of something! If I need a 10x + loupe to see it I don't bother. I find mismatched socks that were thought to be gone for good in the black hole in the dryer. So it would appear you're having much better luck than most of us!

14. charlie123

charlie123 Well-Known Member

The WDDR-004 is the only NGC recognized Homestead error. It is NGC VP-001.

Only 5 out of 2,000 made MS67 at NGC.

15. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

Lol the black hole:)

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  16. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

I got all the quarters back from Wexler today. Those 5 are the only ones I got. A couple he said were the same as ones already attributed....that's the only problem sending them in, someone might have sent the same thing in just before you and it's not listed until after you send yours or it doesn't look the same as one already listed but he feels it is. No big deal. I have a few more to send in I haven't seen on his listings so far so maybe I'll get lucky with a few more. I am heading to the Long Beach event in a couple weeks so maybe I'll take the ones I discovered and have ANACS slab them with something cool on the label to identify them as my discoveries.

And yes, it is time consuming and sometimes boring and sitting so long can get uncomfortable, but being retired it's still fun to find some of the DDRs as I comb through a couple boxes of quarters and then be the first one to get them attributed. Beats watching TV all day or just being lazy...lol.

silentnviolent likes this.
  17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

As a variety collector I'm sort of on the fence with these. To me the find has to be pretty significant to really be recognized . Yes this year I have found two myself. A new Shield nickel and a 64 D Hot Lips dime that a month later was delisted. ANACS to my knowledge is the only grader whom will slab a coin with a new attribution .
    Since the purest here seem to be only tuned into NGC and PCGS slabs I have to ask myself why bother . I myself really don't care what others think,yes I do ask options,but at the end of the day it's what I believe it to be.
    The process of minting coins is done for one reason coinage for commerce . Unless the coin is being struck for a special purpose [ Proof ,Matte, or special set.]
    Most of the time you're going to have issues like any manufacturing process. In my line of work we have 7 different inspections to assure the quality of our product.
    Yet still things occur that can cause a quality assurance issue.

Like new mint items that are limited issues ,these errors,varieties or what ever you care to call them fizzle out.
    To me real true varieties stand the test of time,or are found on older coinage that has been over looked for a significant amount of time. [ 1919 DDO dime ]
    Now I'm not saying that new finds don't interest me they do, but will they stand the test of time.
    Perhaps if we ever go to a cashless society they may begin to hold interest as well as value.
    I see ads in numismatics published magazine's that try and sell these new found varieties. I often wonder how is there a market for these. Then they sort of fizzle out.
    I truly do love my hobby , and I love varieties, but at the end of the day I ask my self what true value do I place on any coin? No matter if it's a low mintage or a variety .
    A wise person told me years ago....your wants always exceed your needs.

billy b, KurtS and cpm9ball like this.
  18. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

To the OP congratulations on your finds.

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  19. charlie123

Just noticed an NGC WDDR-004 (VP-001) Pump Handle error MS-67 listed on Ebay.

Does anyone know if even a NGC MS-66 has ever been sold?

20. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

Times are changing.

21. charlie123

???

Rmo63 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted