Snuck one in under the wire...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Of course, I was supposed to put all further purchases into a January or February, 2017 coin 'basket'....but I snuck one past the 'mean old killjoy' who rules the roost... :cigar::dead::D

Jeez, who can resist a cool silver Tetradrachm, right?:hungry: Not to mention that it seemed to be obtainable for a low/average retail cost with free shipping....and so it was.

Hmmm, I seem to have temporarily fallen into a specific niche whereby both sides of the coin depict the same god or goddess----in this case Dionysos. And the coin itself is in decent grade/condition while struck in a attractive 'fine artistic' style... so I simply couldn't resist it.
    :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroneia

Maroneia, Thrace; Circa 189-149 BC: 16.23 gram, 32 mm.

Obv: Head of Dionysos right,wearing ivy wreath
    Rev: ΔIONYΣOΣ / ΣΩTHPOΣ / MAPΩNITΩN.
    Dionysos standing slightly left, holding grape bunch and narthex stalks. Controls: Monogram to inner left and inner right.
    Reference Schönert-Geiss 984.

maroneia thrace tet.jpg maroneia thrace tet revere.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Pretty!!!!!!!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice one!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

sweet inded MZ! one of these is high on my list, a likely 2017 coin for me.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Very nice. It seems we see more of this type from Thasos. This is a very nice Maroneia.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Well worth sneaking in. I sure understand the sneakin around stuff.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Nice coin to end the year with!

10. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

That's a really gorgeous piece! I'm glad to see it made it to you safe and sound.

11. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow Mikey-Z => that's an amazing OP-score (super sweet)

I also happen to have an example, but sadly you're gonna have to deal with my stevex6 home-photos!!

coin1a.jpg coin1b.jpg

... according to David Sear, this baby is 100% authentic but has been harshly cleaned (I still love the coin and think that the obverse is gorgeous)

Congrats again on scoring such a cool OP-gem

Cheers

12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Gorgeous coin @Mikey Zee ! Well done, and a great one to slip under the wire for 2016!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Nice score!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I agree!! Although a bit rough, the style and skill of the engraver(s) is remarkable!!

Speaking of which, I believe this is an example of the Thasolian type, with the Hercules reverse:
    RR roman macedonia tet.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words guy!!!:) Unfortunately the 'lady of the house is not at all happy or impressed LOL

stevex6, Bing and Alegandron like this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I do not have a Maronea version... mine is the Thasos type. I was not aware they were minted in a couple different sites. As to my getting mine under the wire from the Spousal Unit... I just am quiet in my purchasing, and occasionally show some of my examples... if it is a known or cool time in history, or if it would just be cool to show it. I am awaiting / dreading the Day of the WRATH of the SPOUSAL-KHAN to come raining down on me... :D

Absconded from the Great and Powerful @Ancientnoob 's Collection...
    Thrace Thasos 146-50 BCE AR Tet Dionysos Herakles Club Lion skin Obv-Rev.JPG
    Thasos, Thrace, (146 - 50 B.C.)
    AR Tetradrachm, 33mm, 16.1g
    O: Young head of Dionysos wearing wreath of leaves and grapes and band across forehead.
    R: ΗΡΑΚΛΕΟΥΣ ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ ΘΑΣΙΩΝ, Hercules naked standing left holding club, lion skin draped over arm; monogram.
    SNG Copenhagen 1040; SG-1759; SNG Ashmolean 3689; Le Rider, Thasos 51Thasos
    Ex: @Ancientnoob

stevex6, Smojo, Bing and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted