Sneak Peek on My book

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Colby J., Dec 6, 2019.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

The quadrants of Caligula he has down as VF going for $125 or $175.

Despite the very personal and subjective way of assigning grades to unique handmade coins with various preservation issues, I'd say this is probably close to what most people have in mind as a VF.

Caligula Quadrans.jpg

I didn't even pay $100, nor $90. It was in fact $87 including shipping from a European auction house. According to your book I should have paid between $125 and $175, plus shipping. LOL.

You can go on vcoins and find a similar one for around $95. Makes you wonder how the price was arrived at.

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

giphy-16.gif

Nicholas Molinari and Ryro like this.
  4. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

This was the first thing I wondered about. Was permission granted for all of the images used in the publication? That's a daunting task in itself!

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  5. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

AJ did give permission to use a pic, but then this is far different from what is described as for use in an article/novel and then too evidently took it to be free reign for all images.

AncientJoe likes this.
  6. Sallent

Also, although I'm not a copyright attorney, I can in fact confirm that despite OP's protests, you can legally share a limited excerpt from his book as long as it is under the Fair Use Doctrine as defined in Section 107 of the Copyright Act for educational or critique purposes. People do it all the time, share quotes or a partial copy of a page from a book for academic, educational, and review/criticism purposes, and the law allows for that as long as it is a limited portion (no more than necessary to educate, criticize, review, or comment on the work.) Ie. you just can't publish a bunch of pages, but sharing one particular listing in a page is OK under the circumstances I mentioned above.

What the law does not allow is for someone to blatantly rip @AncientJoe 's personal photos for commercial gain without permission. Not that this was the case here, I can't say either way based on the information we have so far.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  7. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks, yes: the original request referring to an article or novel (i.e. historical fiction about Rome) is very different from using them for commercial purposes in a book about pricing.

dadams and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  8. Sallent

I would never buy a work from a publisher, writer, or artist who didn't recognize that the above is the current law of the land, and which has been upheld dozens of times by various appellate courts and Supreme Court decisions.

I don't fancy getting frivolously sued for commenting on, educating on, or criticizing a passage or small section of a page in their book/article/presentation, etc.

AncientJoe likes this.
  9. Colby J.

Colby J. Well-Known Member

This will not be for sale, it will be on my website as a PDF and will be posted on other sites as a reference guide to new numismatists. This is not for advanced collectors by any means. I can give you the contact of the person actually writing the book, I am only writing the introduction. My goal was to make it a sort of Ancient Red book, that would be updated yearly with new prices and information. Thanks for the input though.

Sir Coin Collector likes this.
  10. Colby J.

The book isn't even close to being finished.

Sir Coin Collector likes this.
  11. Colby J.

Here's the email. without my stupidity.

Dear ____,

Thank you for your e-mail.
    Yes, you have our permission to use our photos as long as you cite C____ ____ Group, _____, along with our website, as the source.

Best Regards,
    _______
    _______
    ________
    _____

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  12. Sallent

It's OK to mention the existence of an email, but it is in poor taste to actually reproduce it in public without asking for permission. I'd be ticked off if my emails ended up posted in a public forum.

Please take down the actual email ASAP or I'll report it to a moderator as a breach of privacy.

13. Colby J.

Updated title page. I thought I was clear, sorry for the inconvenience.
    Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 1.25.56 PM.png

14. Colby J.

Again, the pictures there are only for reference. The ones that we don't have permissions for will be drawn out. Trust me, I am working with many people who know way more than me to accomplish my dream.

15. Colby J.

Ok, then my point is proven.

16. Sallent

The email is still up as an attachment. It has someone else's name, address, phone numbers. Please delete the attachment.

17. Colby J.

I did

18. Sallent

Thank you for the clarification to those concerns that were raised. It is much appreciated.

19. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Huh, you just posted an email saying it was from CNG with a very different last name than the one on "your" book. And now it's been removed... How come? Are we not "Abele" to see this?

20. Colby J.

I'm just overwhelmed that's all. I went to bed after I posted so I'm sure you know how I feel. This is the reason I posted this though. I definitely should've clarified that the attachments were a mere rough draft and the book is no way done yet. I also thank the people that commented criticism. Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad that I have received such interest in my book.

21. Sallent

I asked that the email be removed because he doesn't have permission to be posting private email exchanges. I felt it was rude to include someone else's emails with name, address, phone numbers, and the response (which was clearly meant as a private exchange between him and CNG). I'm sure you would not appreciate it if your emails or your company emails were posted in a public forum.

TIF and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted