Snapware for storage

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bcuzz1, Mar 12, 2013.

1. bcuzz1

bcuzz1 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

They work great for food, I can vouch for that.

As for being airtight - horse puckey. No plastic is airtight because all plastic is air permeable.

Tupperware and similar products work just as good as those. So get whatever brand that cost the least and are the most convenient size for your needs.

4. Bitten

Bitten Junior Member

5. bhaugh

bhaugh AKA - 1872Hokie

For airtight storage, why not use airtights and then use a vacuum sealer to bag up the airtights and suck all the air out.

6. SilverevliS

SilverevliS New Member

They may be decent at keeping air out, but what about the air already inside when you snap the lid on?

7. Tyler

Tyler Active Member

These work great. I use Rubbermaid brand. If you are trying to prevent coins from tarnishing, I recommend you encapsulate each coin or place the coins in tubes first combined with the snapware. Assuming you wouldn't open the container each day it would dramatically reduce the speed of toning.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Sure, that'll help. But those plastic bags you're using are still air permeable and air will get back into the bag over a period of time.

And it's not necessary to do that. Put your coins in a hard plastic holder, store the holders in a sealed container, like any of those mentioned. Put a silica gel pack inside the sealer container, and check it, and recharge it, as necessary. Store the sealed container in a dark place, where the temperature does not change much (like a closet with no exterior walls) - and that's all you have to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted