Featured Snakes of the Roman Republic

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Jun 12, 2020.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

(My first instinct was to call this thread Republican Snakes, but I didn't want to be accused of being political.)

I think we're all aware that snakes had generally positive connotations in Ancient Greek and Roman culture -- for their association with good health (Aesculapius and Salus), and for their religious associations with various cults connected with the earth, as well as domestically with the concept of venerating the "house snake."

I have four Roman Republican denarii showing snakes, and three of those portrayals of snakes are almost certainly intended to be perceived positively.

1. I just received the first one, and am very pleased with it (despite the clear evidence of a double strike around Salus's nose and chin on the obverse.)

Roman Republic, Manius Acilius Glabrio, AR Denarius, 50 BCE (Harlan and BMCRR) or 49 BCE (Crawford), Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head of Salus right, wearing necklace and earring, with hair collected behind in knot ornamented with jewels, SALVTIS upwards behind head / Rev. Valetudo* [Harlan says portrayal is of a statue of Valetudo] standing left, holding snake with right hand and resting left arm on column, MN•ACILIVS [downwards on right] III•VIR•VALETV [upwards on left] [MN and TV monogrammed]. RSC I Acilia 8, Crawford 442/1a, Sydenham 922, Sear RCV I 412 (ill.), Harlan, RRM II Ch. 30 at pp. 229-238, BMCRR Rome 3945. 17.5 mm., 3.98 g.

Man. Acilius Glabrio denarius jpg version.jpg

* Valetudo was essentially another manifestation of Salus (portrayed on the obverse), the goddess of health and well-being -- a concept sometimes “extended to include not only physical health but also the general welfare of the Roman people, the army and the state.” John Melville Jones, Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (London, 1990) at p. 276. This is the only Roman coin to depict a personification of Valetudo. See id. at p. 314. Crawford (Vol. I at p. 461) says that “perhaps” these types refer to the story that the first Greek doctor to come to Rome practiced on the gens Acilia’s street, and that “it is also possible” that “expectations of a Caesarian victory influenced the choice of types.”

Harlan dismisses the “first Greek doctor” story (pointing out that the actual story in Pliny characterizes that doctor very negatively, giving no reason to commemorate him) (see RRM II at p. 231), and vigorously argues that the coin was actually pro-Pompey, not pro-Caesar. He asserts that Acilius was Pompey’s stepson for a brief period of time, born in Pompey’s house (stating that he was the son of Aemilia, Pompey’s second wife, who apparently divorced Acilius’s father to marry Pompey while she was pregnant with Acilius, although she died in childbirth and Pompey soon remarried to Mucia Tertia). Harlan suggests that the specific inspiration for the depictions on this coin was Pompey’s grave illness around the time the coin was issued, and that the coin equated the health of Pompey with the health of the Republic: “If the coin is dated to 50, by the end of the year, anyone who saw Salus and Valetudo on the coinage could only call to mind the national concern, and then the universal relief and thanksgiving over Pompey’s return to health. Whatever the intended meaning, certainly by the end of the year 50 the coin could easily be seen as a piece of Pompeian propaganda proclaiming that they are the ones protecting the state and Caesar is the threat to the safety of the Republic.” (RRM II at pp. 232-233.) Harlan also estimates, based on the number of known different obverse and reverse dies, that nearly 11 million of these denarii were minted (the most during this time-period), and suggests that they were intended to be used to pay the 130,000 troops that the Senate authorized Pompey to raise in preparation for the coming conflict. (Id. p. 234.)

2. Roman Republic, L. Procilius L.f., AR Denarius, 80 BCE. Obv. Laureate head of Jupiter R., S C behind/ Rev. Juno Sospita advancing R., holding shield in left hand and hurling spear with right hand; snake before; behind, L. PROCILI/F downwards. RSC I Procilia 1 (ill.), Crawford 379/1, Sydenham 771, Sear RCV I 306 (ill.), Harlan, RRM I Ch. 4 at pp. 19-22. BMCRR Rome 3147. 19.5 mm., 3.6 g.

Procilius - new Obv (Jupiter) 2.jpg

Procilia-Juno Sospita - New Rev. 2.jpg

3. Roman Republic, L. Roscius Fabatus, AR Serrate Denarius, 64 BCE, Rome Mint. Obv. Head of Juno Sospita right, wearing goat's skin, control-symbol to left, L. ROSCI in exergue/ Rev. Maiden standing right with basket over shoulder, feeding serpent erect before her, control-symbol to left, FABATI in exergue. RSC I Roscia 3, Crawford 412/1 (see also Crawford Vol. II Plate LXVIII, control-symbol pair 106* & pp. 790-792), Sear RCV I 363 (ill.), Harlan, RRM II Ch. 3 at pp. 21-27, BMCRR Rome 3507 (control-symbol pair 106). 16mm, 3.93g., 3h. (Depicts annual ceremony at Juno Sospita festival in Lanuvium, in grotto under temple; see RSC I at p. 85.)

* Flaming oil lamps/candle-holders (not identified as such in BMCRR or Crawford)

Roscius Fabatus denarius 59 BC - jpg version.jpg
    4. Roman Republic, L. Plautius Plancus, AR Denarius, 47 BCE, Rome mint. Obv. Facing head of Medusa with coiled snake on either side of face [bankers’ marks to left of mouth], L. PLAVTIVS below / Rev. Winged Aurora flying right, holding palm frond and conducting the four horses of the sun, PLANCVS below. RSC I Plautia 15, Crawford 453/1a, Sydenham 959, Sear RCV I 429, BMCRR Rome 4004. 18 mm., 4.0 g.

Plautius Plancus - Medusa denarius (seller image) jpg version.jpg
    Plautius Plancus-Medusa denarius Obv. 3.jpg

If anyone else would like to post their Roman Republican coins showing snakes, I would love to see them.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice coins and write up.

Here’s a snake...

[​IMG]
    RR Man Acilius Glabrio 49 BCE Salus Valetudo snake Craw 442-1a Sear 412

ominus1, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 13 others like this.
  4. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

My favorite is M.VOLTEI. It has snakes and a plumb bob.
    M. VOLTEI. M.F. Cr. 385.3 plumb bob Art Ast 6.11.16 rev.jpg M. VOLTEI. M.F. Cr. 385.3 plumb bob Art Ast 6.11.16.jpg

ominus1, Ed Snible, Volodya and 13 others like this.
  5. DonnaML

In your example, it looks like the snake is actually wrapped around Valetudo's lower body about half a dozen times. Do you think that's the intention?

Alegandron likes this.
  6. DonnaML

7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Your new coin is excellent! and I am jealous of the L. PLAVTIVS. Here's another Acilius:
    Salus Acilius.jpg Man. Acilius Glabrio circa 49 BC AR Denarius
    Obv: SALUTIS Laureate head of Salus right
    Rev: IIIVIR VALETV M ACILIUS Salus standing left, leaning against column and holding serpent
    Note: previously posted on CT

8. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Please forgive me, @DonnaML —this coin is not from the Roman Republic but it does feature a wonderful serpent. I’ve posted an eighteenth century musical instrument known as a serpent also. The similarity of shape is rather interesting.
    SERPENT_COIN.jpg

9. Alegandron

Perhaps, or just folds of her gown. Not a clue. But it looks great to me.

10. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I don't have a single RR coin, but my favorite snake coin is this one
    Elagabalus Mouch 636.JPG

ominus1, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 10 others like this.
  11. Alegandron

Province of the Roman Republic

Mysia Pergamon Tetradrachm 12.4g 26mm Cista mystica with serpents - snakes KP 85-76 BCE.JPG
    Mysia, Pergamum (Pergamon) 85-76 BC
    Cista Mystica or Cistophoric Tetradrachm
    AR Tetradrachm 12.46 x 26 mm
    Obverse: Cista mystica with serpent; all within oak / ivy wreath
    Reverse: bow-case with serpents, PRE monogram to left, KP / PRY monogram above, serpent-staff right.
    Ref: Kleiner 36
    Ex: @Ancientnoob

Comments: During the times of the late Republic and early Imperial period this was worth 3 Roman denarii, I believe the value was set by Augustus. It features the a serpent fleeing a box, the cista, surrounded by an oak and ivy wreathe, the reverse is two serpents surrounding a quiver with a standard in the right fi

ominus1, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 11 others like this.
  12. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That is a beautiful Ancilius Glabrio, @DonnaML.

RR - Acilius Glabrio Valetudo Huntington 2075.jpg
    ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius. 3.78g, 19mm. Rome mint, 49 BC, Manius Acilius Glabrio, moneyer. Crawford 442/1a (651 obv, 723 rev dies for both types); Sydenham 922. O: Laureate head of Salus right; SALVTIS behind. R: Valetudo standing left holding serpent and leaning elbow on column; MN ACILIVS III VIR VALETV around.
    Ex Archer M. Huntington Collection, ANS 1001.1.12776

The Plautius Plancus is one of my favorite RR types, but mine has Medusa without the snakes in the hair, so instead I'll show this Cossutius Sabula with quite a different take on how the 'monstrous' Medusa was sometimes portrayed.

RR - L Cossutius Sabula 1590.jpg
    ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius. 3.95g, 18mm. Rome mint, 72 BC. Crawford 395/1; Sydenham 790; Cossutia 1. O: Head of Medusa left, winged and entwined with serpents; SABVLA upwards behind. R: Bellerophon riding pegasos right, hurling spear; control mark X behind, L COSSVTI C F below.
    Ex Eucharius Collection

One more, with the snake as a control symbol.

RR - L Papius Snake Fox New 2017.jpg
    ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Serrate Denarius. 3.92g, 18.8mm. Rome mint, 79 BC. Crawford 384/1, pl. LXVII, symbols 122; Sydenham 773. O: Head of Juno Sospita right; behind, coiled snake. R: Griffin leaping right; below, animal with raised tail (fox, ichneumon, or dog) crouched right; L • PAPI in exergue.
    Ex E.E. Clain-Stefanelli Collection

ominus1, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 13 others like this.
  13. Alegandron

Republic Snakes

upload_2020-6-12_21-9-21.png
    RImp
    Octavian
    AR Quinarius
    29-28 BCE
    Asia Recepta
    Victory
    Cista Snakes
    Sear 1568

upload_2020-6-12_21-11-53.png
    RR Rubrius Dosssenus
    AR Quinarius
    87 BCE
    Neptune
    Victory alter snake Aesculapius
    S261 Cr 348-4

ominus1, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 10 others like this.
  14. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

Nice snakes, all!

Here are a couple not included above:

Denarius of C. Memmius C.f.
    Obv. QVIRINVS / C·MEMMI·C·F - Laureate head of Quirinus right
    Rev. MEMMIVS· AED·CERIALIA·PREIMVS·FECIT - Ceres seated right, holding torch in left hand and corn-ears in right hand; before, snake
    Mint: Rome (56 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 3.95g / - / -
    References:
    • RSC 9 (Memmia)
    • Sydenham 921
    • Crawford 427/2
    • RBW 1532
    • BMCRR Rome 3940
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anonymous Bronze Quadrans
    Obv. Head of Hercules right, wearing lion's skin; behind, three pellets
    Rev. Bull charging rightl above, corn-ear and three pellets, below, snake
    Exergue: ROMA
    Mint: Sicily (ca 207-206 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 5.50g / 20mm / 3h
    References:
    • Crawford 69/5
    • BMCRR 143
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

ominus1, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 12 others like this.
  15. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

Cleaning the cista mystica reminds me of the following video featuring a modern day Mithridates

Ed Snible and galba68 like this.
  16. DonnaML

Now I think what I see on your coin might just be some kind of wicker basket Valetudo is holding/wearing, out of which the snake is emerging. The one that @Sulla80 posted looks kind of like that as well. And here's a closeup of mine:

Detail Acilius Glabrio (Salus-Valetudo) New Rev 3.jpg

It seems pretty clear that Valetudo is wearing some sort of pouch or basket in front, into which her left hand is reaching -- it has an opening on the side -- and out of which the snake has emerged. Or perhaps she pulled the snake out with her right hand. Notice that her left arm is not actually resting on the column, contrary to my description.

17. Alegandron

WOW, forgot that the Quadrans had a snake below Bull. Thanks, @akeady :

Mine:
    upload_2020-6-13_17-53-42.png
    RR Anon AE 28mm 19.2g Quadrans - Sicily mint 214-212 BCE Hercules-Erymanthian boar headress- Bull snake ex RBW Craw 72-7 Scarce

ominus1, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 5 others like this.
  18. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I think the snake is just behind Valetudo - on mine (below), Zumbly's and Donna's, the tail of the snake extends to the right of the column:
    [​IMG]

ATB,
    Aidan.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    ominus1, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 6 others like this.
  19. Alegandron

I dunno Donna. I like your first explanation. Mine has a long-as snake forever coiled around her!

DonnaML likes this.
  20. DonnaML

Thanks. That's the first time I've noticed the tail of the snake on mine, and I suppose you could interpret the image as showing the snake behind Valetudo. However, I think you could also interpret my coin as showing the front end of the snake coming out of the top of the pouch or basket, and the tail end coming out of a hole near the bottom of it, around where her left knee would be. Also, if it's not a pouch, then what is it? Part of her gown?

21. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I'd say she's wearing something like the third from left, but with the blue outer thingy pulled up a bit more:
    [​IMG]

I'd like to get one where the snake is coiled around the column:
    [​IMG]

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=260633

ATB,
    Aidan.

ominus1, TIF, Marsyas Mike and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted