SMS or not

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Trimbit, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Trimbit

Trimbit Learning a lot

How can you tell if you have a coin from an SMS SET

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Use your Red Book and look it up.

5. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

If your coin(s) look too good to be circulation strikes they probably are SMS.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Unless they're 1964.

7. Trimbit

Trimbit Learning a lot

Just so happens I have a red book from the library. Just got it a couple days ago. Will look it up. And look at the link Paddyman98 sent. Thanks

Collecting Nut likes this.
  8. Dave Waterstraat

Wish I had a dollar for every noob that thought they a had a 1964 SMS whatever.

9. Trimbit

Trimbit Learning a lot

Reading you guys talking about them and was just curious. I do not have any. Started a collection of business strike kennedys from 1964 to 2000 for now that I come across at different places. The rest is some of this and a few of those and some new stuff. Not in it for the money anyway. Just like coins is all.

10. Dave Waterstraat

My comment was not directed towards you as you did not specify the (almost) mythical '64 SMS issue. You would be surprised how many people think they've found one...

And welcome to CT!

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Experience.

You can never really be 100% certain but you can separate SMS from others with an exceedingly high accuracy rate.

12. Trimbit

Trimbit Learning a lot

Thanks Dave. Did not take it personnel. Am just amazed at how much there is to know about coins. Guess there is no final destination in this hobby!

Draft saved Draft deleted