SMOJO'S LIST FOR 2018

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Smojo, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I think it is finally time for my top list, it is short.
    I had a real off year, I acquired he fewest coins this year than in any of the past five.
    This year I have faced so many personal and physical struggles but I know I am not alone in that it seems there are quite a few of us here that have had their own struggles to deal with. With that being said I hope all of us have a 2019 that is full of nothing but good things.

I was able to snag a couple of coins that were on my want list for a very long time that I finally just decided to pull the trigger on. I also picked up a few I didn't know I wanted. That's what makes this hobby so fun. :D

I apologize ahead of time for not using mostly my own photo's, I still haven't unpacked my camera. I honestly just bought a new phone and camera and still trying to figure out how to use either of them.

1. This is #1 because it's Trajan and because it is a nice coin, the first purchase of 2018 and a gift from mom (which I picked out and won the bid war). Was also a want list item.

Lh9QDppN-199260397.jpg
    Trajan AR Denarius. Rome, AD 107-108. IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P, laureate bust right, slight drapery on left shoulder / COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC, Dacian trophy of arms, at base of which shields, spears and sword. Woytek 268b; RIC 147; RSC 98. 3.23g, 20mm, 7h.

#2 Is another want list item. It quickly moved to the top of my want list after the mass amounts of them started showing up on the auction boards. I had to outbid someone we all know to get this particular example but hopefully there's no hard feelings :p (it's not been brought up)

4260025.jpg
    KINGS of MACEDON. Alexander III ‘the Great’. 336-323 BC. AR Drachm (15.5mm, 4.32 g, 1h). Lampsakos mint. Struck under Kalas or Demarchos, circa 328/5-323 BC. Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin / Zeus Aëtophoros seated left; in left field, Artemis Phosphoros standing facing, holding two torches; Δ below throne. Price 1354; ADM II Series V.

#3. I didn't really need another JD but this ones reverse really spoke to me and I just had to add it to my collection, in hand it is really stunning.
    20180428_202216.jpg
    Julia Domna Denarius
    IVLIA AVGVSTA, draped bust right.
    CERERI FRVGIF, Ceres seated left, holding corn ears and torch. Rome mint: AD 200 RIC IVi, 546 scarce, Cohen 14, SEAR RCV II (2002), 6576

#4. This is an example of I didn't know I wanted it until I bought it. Sadly shortly after it was delivered it had quite the sprout of BD show up on it. It is free of disease now but seems after my mild form of treatment didn't hold on o the beauty so much. It's currently in a small container with some verdicare and I'm hopeful that will bring it back.

4260437.jpg
    EGYPT, Alexandria. Hadrian. AD 117-138. BI Tetradrachm (23.8mm, 12.60 g, 12h). Dated RY 17 (AD 132/133). Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Nilus reclining left on crocodile, holding cornucopia and reed; L IZ (date) above. Köln 1064; Dattari (Savio) 1434 var. (obv. legend); K&G 32.534; RPC III 5822; Emmett 876.17.

#5 Another want list addition, although I'm not completely satisfied with it but it's a keeper. In hand it has a lot of purple. I'm still on the look out for a hockey puck in my budget.

4340158.jpg

PTOLEMAIC KINGS of EGYPT. Ptolemy III Euergetes. 246-222 BC. Æ Tetrobol (36mm, 43.07 g, 11h). Series 4C. Alexandreia mint. Diademed head of Zeus-Ammon right / Eagle with closed wings standing left on thunderbolt, head right, with filleted cornucopia over shoulder; EP monogram between legs. CPE B371; Svoronos 974 var. (E between legs); Weiser 92 (Ptolemy IV); SNG Copenhagen 227-9 (Ptolemy IV). Near VF, brown patina, reddish encrustations.

#6. Almost to the end just not quite though. I had been coming up on the short end when trying to add Plautilla to my emporess collection and after several attempts was able to finally add an example.

20180409_131849.jpg
    Plautilla, AR Denarius, (2.33g) PLAVTILLA AVGVSTA Draped bust right. PIETAS AVGG Pietas standing, head right, holding scepter and child. RIC 370 RSC7

#7 I was happy to have been able to take this one off of @Sallent hands and I really appreciate the patience he had for me during this deal, it was just as I was fixing to move.

Claudius (2).jpg
    Claudius, 41-54.
    AE As, 30mm, 10.4g, 7h; Rome, 50-54.
    TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP P P Bare head of Claudius to left.
    Rev. LIBERTAS AVGVSTA / S - C Libertas standing facing, her head turned to right, holding pileus in her right hand and extending her left.
    BMC 204. BN 230. Cohen 47. RIC 113.
    Ex: Sallent

#8 JUST KIDDING, but I do have another to toss in. To me it ranks higher than #8 but it's a Saturnalia gift and for that reason I was hesitant to add it to the list. I received 2 great coins and love them both but there's something about it that just speaks to me, maybe it's because it would have taken me a real long time to attribute it, I was only guessing at it until it was revealed to me in a PM. Anyway it feels right to add it.

SS2018-Stevex6-Perrhaiboi-Smojo-EditedCNGImages-RT_1545157327383.jpg
    THESSALY, Perrhaiboi
    c. 450-400 BCE
    AR obol; 12 mm, 0.87 gm, 6 h
    Olosson or Phalanna mint
    Obv: bridled horse rearing left
    Rev: Π-Ε-Ρ-Α; Athena in running stance right, holding shield and spear; all within incuse square
    Ref: BCDThessaly I 1242; BCD Thessaly II 552.2; HGC 4, 151
    Ex X6 Collection, from CNG 393, lot 40 (15 March 2017)
    Ex BCD Collection

FEEL FREE TO PILE ON...
    PILE ON, PILE ON :):D:)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Hey great coins Smojo, you have a good eye for quality silver including 8 Just Kidding fantastic style.

Smojo likes this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Julia disagrees!

Domna reconstruction.jpg

I hope 2019 treats you better. I'm sorry 2018 was characterized by so many struggles.

ominus1, dlhill132, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice examples all. Hadrian is my favorite

Smojo likes this.
  6. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I love your empresses. I would love to see Julia Domna and Plautilla at their dressing tables in the morning doing their hair. Or having their servants do their hair.

Hope 2019 treats you better than 2018 did.

Smojo likes this.
  7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I think you came through a difficult 2018 with flying colours, and I wish you all the best for 2019! There's no question you picked up some great coins. My favourites are the lifetime Alex drachm (something very appealing about that Herakles), #5 (purple! awesome!), and #8. That last one definitely deserves a spot on the list, the artistry is incredible, the texture is wonderful, plus it's ex TIF, ex X6, and ex BCD. A beautiful coin and hopefully a meaningful symbol of the support you got from CT friends during a tough year.

ominus1, Curtisimo and Smojo like this.
  8. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Thanks Sev,
    To say I wished 2018 would have been brighter I'm not sure would be the truth. I left behind what would have been a real dark storm. The fact that I moved actually saved me from what is coming to the almost 2,000 people I left behind. Sure I've had to over come some adversity and still do, I believe I made the right choice overall.
    As to your statement "A beautiful coin and hopefully a meaningful symbol of the support you got from CT freinds". If it had not been for TIF and her support and help I'm not sure I would have made the jump to ancients. The help she gave with just my first few ancient coins opened up the door to so much more. There are others of course, and CT has evolved so much in just the last couple of years I seem to have a hard time keeping up with most of you. That's not meant as a bad thing.

9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great coins, I like the Trajan, Claudius & Ptolemy III.

Smojo likes this.
  10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

A nice selection. I'm glad you found time and energy for some light during these troubled year

Q

Smojo likes this.
  11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Excellent captures! Here's to a brighter 2019!

Smojo likes this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a tumultuous year for you, Smojo! Making such a major change is so hard and it sounds like you've had many challenges along the way. It sounds like things are shaping up though. Best wishes for a joyful 2019! :)

Smojo likes this.
  13. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great coins. #5 looks like a keeper to me. I like the large Zeus/Eagle Ptolemoy coins.
    If you want a really big bronze, think cast:
    two kg cast bar peus 11.3.17.JPG
    This cast bar from Central Italy is 2Kg+. It cost about what a nice RR denarii would, but way less per gram.

14. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

The thought has crossed my mind. Seeing some of yours and Gandolfs has grabbed my attention. I don't know enough about them yet though.

Alegandron likes this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

What a WONDERFUL rack of coins @Smojo ! I really like them all... you have a great eye, and those are fun ones.

I understand and empathize with your tough year. Stay strong... somehow, and hopefully, things will pull through.

I sincerely sincerely hope the best for you and yor family!

This is a coin that I have carried in my wallet for the last 6-months after I received it.

PILE-ON
    upload_2019-1-1_12-22-6.png
    Makedon Alexander I 498-454 BCE AR Obol 10mm 0.75g Horse - Quadripartite incuse sq SNG ANS 32 Rare

ominus1, TIF, Orielensis and 3 others like this.
  16. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Looks to me like you had a great collecting year despite your obstacles this year @Smojo !

My favorites are the Hadrian / Nilis and I agree with you that the Thessaly obol is fantastic as well. Here is hoping for a stress free 2019!

Smojo likes this.
  17. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Hope you the best in matter of coins and happiness. Remember,kindly, that self- conviction and auto- satisfaction are the basic keys of joy and real possession.

Smojo likes this.
  18. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

good lookin' coins and several of them.that Nilus is making me drool, i tried several times this year to get one but didn't...you did fine old friend and we'll have a good time this year even better! :) G

Smojo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted