Featured Smithsonian Display; help wanted!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Seattlite86, Dec 13, 2016.

1. coldreach

coldreach Junior Member

I just :love you: too bad it is not our project. Maybe we are best off just donating some funds in this case. I know we DO get excited! You know why we get excited!!! It is not just because it is coins. It is because it is about PEOPLE! I don't think we will hit any deadlines for this one. (period) But keep leaving your heart in the right place. Have you helped with the disruptions yet? Go back to the home page... that is something a newbie cannot do.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

I just wanted to help, however, I asked my friends on facebook too. With 3D technology approaching fast, the SMITHSONIAN wants volunteers for getting models of enlarged coins either by finding them on the streets, or by engineering them.On CoinTalk.com there's a post I followed for this cause. I realize you're not going to find 100% of their requested coins, so, out of necessity I figured out that if you were to enlarge a coin to a 32X size model, you would use the cube-root of 32 for a 1 ounce coin. 3.1748 x 3.1748 x 3.1748 = 31.999936 for a ball park figure of a scale to enlarge the coins appropriately for blind & disabled kids to touch, and draw a representation of the coins. SMOOTH-ON Inc had some polycoating material for making a 3" inch diameter Coin replica of the 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter. 3" inch models are good for kids to touch too.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I'm going to be 100% honest, I have no idea what you just said...

5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Hey Folks, I've received three more replicas in the mail and wanted to update tehg roup. I have to first apologize for not being more responsive on this thread (or by email or personal message for some of you). I've been consumed in my personal life as we are moving out of country in less than a month and I've been scrambling to get everything from visas, to housing contracts, to applying for things in a language I could not speak a single sentence in 9 months ago. Needless to say, the project and I are way behind schedule. So what comes next?

I will be mailing all of the replicas to my friend @Tom Babinszki who is the gentleman I visited the Smithsonian with (photos on first or second page of thread). We will more than likely purchase a second set of all of the replicas and mail those to schools for the blind. The Smithsonian is ready to receive the replicas but would like to receive the braille pages at the same time so it is easier for them to track everything.

We still need descriptions and this is was always going to be the hardest part. If anyone has time they are willing to donate to write descriptions, or even edit the ones we have into a two page word document, please contact me! I won't be able to be the only one propelling this on and I don't want it to go by the wayside. Basically, I'm looking for a co-manager to help bring this all together. Please let me know if you are interested!

Thank you,
    Brandon

IMG_8384.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted