Smallest gold coin for ring?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Beedles, Jan 12, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Beedles

Beedles New Member

As stated, I do not collect gold coin so not familiar. I am looking for a small coin to have set on a pinky ring, Not looking to break the bank so let's say $500 and under. Not really going for price, more towards looks. Ty for any info. Would prefer older coin but once again looks will play a big part not purity.

Pic is just for fun, Jimmy and Bob playing soccer in 1967 I believe. Looks like they smoked and about to lift off the earth? lol :wideyed:

20-6.jpg

serafino, dwhiz, AdamL and 1 other person like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

As far as small gold coins go, I would think the most popular are the US $1 one dollar gold coin and the Mexican dos pesos gold coin, both are approximately 13mm in diameter and I think they're weights are pretty close to being the same. Both are doable in a ring and personally I would ignore anything bigger as you wouldn't want to look ostentatious! :D

Beedles, serafino and -jeffB like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Do you want world or us gold?

Here is a super tiny gold coin.
    slazzer-edit-image (11).png slazzer-edit-image (13).png

Beedles, serafino, fretboard and 4 others like this.
  5. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

APMEX's got 'em:
    2021-mexico-1-20-oz-gold-libertad-bu_236831_obv.jpg
    13 mm, .05 troy oz

Beedles and fretboard like this.
  6. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

I hope these help you. Not for sale I have had these a while. $1.00 Dollar 1 tenth Kugerrand and 1851 one dollar gold.jpg same rings better light.jpg side view.jpg has my state flower on it. Magnolia. Hope this helps you

7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

fretboard and Southernman189 like this.
  8. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

just askin' (if you don't know you ask) don't "they" make California gold tokens copys? and are they real gold or real brass covered in gold?. that might be his answer.

9. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

10. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think the most popular gold coin in men's rings tends to be the Indian Quarter Eagle. Both the design and the size of the coin suit that need very well.

Beedles and serafino like this.
  11. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

If you really want a “pinky ring,” I think that the Type III Gold Dollar is the best. The Mexican two and two and a half peso coins might be the cheapest. The eagle on those coins is quite attractive.

Beedles and micbraun like this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Up to $500.00? That's not breaking the bank for you?
    I think anything above $300.00 would break my bank :confused:

I submitted this gold 10KR to NGC once. It came back Details :(.. I should crack it out and make my own ring also!
    sak a.JPG
    If I remember correctly I paid $120.00 for it.

Beedles and furryfrog02 like this.
  13. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

All you gotta do is strap a little band on the bottom of the slab. Never have to take it out then. I'm sure some TPG would be happy to do it for you....for a price ;)

14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I always thought the 1 gram gold bars would look nice set in a piece of jewelry without breaking the bank.

upload_2022-1-13_9-25-29.png
    there's also some small 1 gram foreign or coin rounds. If you were stuck to U.S. probably 1/10th oz., 5 dollar eagle. for around $275.00, there the old gold dollars also, they are like 1.67 grams or so but probably cost more than a 1/10th oz eagle.....

still for myself I always come back to the PAMP 1 gram, set in a square ring. $85 or so, and the rest can be spent on the gold for the ring.

Beedles likes this.
  15. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I've never been able to stand wearing watches or rings. I can't help but notice them all the time, fidget with them, and lose them because I'm constantly taking them off. I've never tried a pinky ring, but just the thought of having a big clunky ring on my pinky is nothing short of anxiety inducing! :nailbiting:

Beedles, serafino and John Burgess like this.
  16. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

I agree, I don't wear jewelry often at all or a watch, mostly because of how I live, and that I work with electricity... (I've seen some things) but in my neighborhood the poorer you look and less flash, the less likely to be targeted by someone. Show off something someone might want to take, and they might try you instead of just moving on....
    but I've also never felt really comfortable wearing any of it either so it's only for dress up occasions.

Beedles likes this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Potentially. Stopped by the pawn shop near my employer yesterday for the first time in several months. They had a bunch of 1g Karatbars, in bundles of 5. $495 per bundle. Yeah, no -- the last time I bought Karatbars, it was from another branch of the same chain, they were marked at just over melt, and I used a promotion to get them for about half that. :smug:

Beedles and John Burgess like this.
  18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not the Type I with its smaller diameter?

19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The Type I could work, but it's really small.

Beedles likes this.
  20. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Mini Maximillian pieces. Reasonable cost, especially in the smaller pieces.

Beedles likes this.
  21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

A "pinky ring?" Didn't that go out in the 70s? To me, flashy pinky rings on men is ostentatious, but to each their own. Note: I am not, nor never have been a fashion policeman. LOL

serafino and John Burgess like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted