Small show pickups - about 1800 years of fun.

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mrbreeze, Jan 28, 2018.

1. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Well that's a wide variety.

Tell us about these coins - what they are, and why you bought them. Are they part of a set you're building? Or did they just look cool?

4. mrbreeze

There are a lot of weird and varied reasons at work here. I will give you the IDs to the best of my knowledge.

Picture 1

Coin 1 (elephant) - I love the elephant on this coin. It is a lead coin from early India. It is in the style of Ujjian, but is apparently from a successor who conquered the area, then used the design.

Coin 2 (as if reading a book) - 1936 Kutch kori. I bought this because it is a coin of Edward VIII.

Coin 3 1/20 something or other from Pud-something-something-something. Indian States. Cool small coin with small, simple design.

Coin 4 don’t know. I assume Indian States, possible denomination of rupee. Bought it to figure it out. I can maybe see a 142. Still working on it.

Coin 5. This 4 cash from Travancore was hiding in a 2x2 that was almost turning to dust. The plastic was foggy but I knew something red was underneath. For a couple of bucks, I had to know.

Coin 6 Italy 1911 10 Centesimi. I saw this coin and loved the reverse design. Apparently it’s a 1 year type celebrating 50 years of something. Great chocolate brown with uncirculated features.

Picture 2

Coin 7 - Syria 1950 Lira. I really feel like this is an attractive design. This uncirculated piece has monster luster. It is the 3rd example that I have purchased in the last couple of months.

Coin 8 - Kushan elephant rider, ae drachm I think, probably Huvishka. I like Kushan pieces and I did not have one with an elephant/rider. For 15 bucks, I could not pass up a piece with its age and design.

Coin 9 - silver dirham I think, 800s-900s. Haven’t figured out how to read the dates on these and I haven’t researched the ruler, mint, etc.

Coin 10 - Ag Piastre, Ottoman Empire. I love the big silver coins of the Ottoman Empire. A lot of them are struck with a great deal of weakness, even leaving half of the design missing on some coins. I feel like the piastres are a little better struck than the larger 2 Kurush. This coin has all details, front and back, and a really nice dark used silver tone.

asheland, Oldhoopster and green18 like this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Ever the collector Bro. And der ain't no reason why you should have to explain your motives for picking up these examples, but I Enjoyed your reasoning for doing so.........:)

asheland and mrbreeze like this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The reason for explaining is because now I care a whole lot more about the coins. They mean something. Before, they were just random pictures of random coins. Now that he's explained them, I feel like I've learned something. And that's the whole point of posting here. If I wanted to see random coins, I could go to Ebay. On the forums, I want some explanation. I'm really glad that the OP obliged.

asheland likes this.
  7. green18

Shoot. Can't help myself.....

8. green18

Don't get all puffed out old friend. Take in the music.......

9. green18

I'm a Copperhead....

10. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

The Italian coin is commemorating the 50th anniversary of the unification of Italy. One of my favorite Italian coins of the early 20th century:
    Italy 1911 commem.jpg
    Photo 2, coin 9: My ability at reading Arabic is pretty bad, but I'll try. I think I can make out the mint of Wasit (most common for Umayyads, it was located near Basra). Year is 120-something (date is clear, I just can't read the first word) AH. Looks like a nice haul!

11. mrbreeze

Here are the opposite sides (in another incredibly inept attempt at a phone pic).

image.jpg

12. mrbreeze

Thank you.

That is where my screen name started (mrbreeze). When I was young, I loved that song and its lyrics of freedom. At this point, I would probably consider myself more "Mr. light wind in a bottle that sometimes gets permission to be breezy."

Draft saved Draft deleted