small fractional siglos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Valentinian, Sep 28, 2014.

1. philologus_1

philologus_1 Supporter! Supporter

At .11 gr. it would sure seem to be within the realm of 1/48th. And making a conclusive determination is all the more difficult due to what was already stated above:
    Regardless, the detail in coins of this tiny caliber is amazing in view of the fact that they were produced with technology well over 2000 years old! :)

Edessa, +VGO.DVCKS and Pellinore like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Meantime, I found two new tinyminy fractional sigloi. Here they are having a good time together on the Lincoln Memorial.

1087-1088 cent mid.jpg

1. Achaemenid Empire. Time of Xerxes II to Artaxerxes II (c.420-375 BC), 1/32 siglos. Obv. Persian king or hero, with quiver over shoulder, in kneeling-running stance right, drawing bow. (Though I can see only his upper part: he might even been smoking a pipe.) Rev. Incuse hollow. 5 mm, 0.17 gr. Carradice Type IV (I'm afraid I can't see this).

2. Achaemenid era, local issues - a nice marriage between a Greek and a Persian coin. 4th century, probably about 380-350 BC (estimate after reading the introduction to the Sunrise catalog). Tetartemorion. Uncertain mint in Cilicia? That's the coastal area around Tarsus then and Adana now, in the corner of the Mediterranean Sea. Obv. Persian king or hero, in kneeling-running stance right, holding dagger and bow. (Again, you only see his upper part, with expressive long arms). Rev. Hair-circled head facing slightly left in incuse field. 5 mm, 0.18 mm. Cf. Sunrise 98.

I'm happy the seller managed to make really excellent photographs of these minuscules.

1087 32-siglos s ct.jpg

1088 s ct.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  4. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

It's That Freaking Great to have such a great example of the issue, as you note, on this kind of module.
    ...Benign craziness. Wish I remember who posted recently, talking about the sheer wonder of how the engravers could put this much detail on this kind of a flan, especially by hand. ...Along with the usual suspects, there are medieval examples, notably the petit deniers /mailles of northeastern France, along with late Tudor and early Stuart halfgroats and pennies.
    (...With gratitude, other people had more intelligent things to say along the same and similar lines, while I was arguing with the keyboard.)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Pellinore likes this.
  5. Pellinore

A new fractional siglos came into my possession, this time a sixth (?) of Carradine type II, which is rather early: an estimated 510-486 BC. The pictures may be not so very clear, but in hand one can see the king holding the bow and drawing it with the other hand.
    Three sixth sigloi are depicted in the Forum Carradine page, too, circling about the same weight as mine.

1090 ACHe.jpg
    1090 ACHgs.jpg

The lower photo is based on the seller's.
    Achaemenid Empire. AR 1/6 siglos. Time of Darius I, c. 510/505 - 486 BC. 7 mm, 0.82 gr. Carradice Type II.

Edessa, Pickin and Grinin and Bing like this.
  6. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

What is worth more on the market? The off-center Lincoln or the fractions?

7. Pellinore

I really don't know. Not selling any of these. The Lincoln is probably my most recent coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted