Small date or machine error

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Amber Hughes, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Amber Hughes

Amber Hughes New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The post on the die that forms the center of the "6" broke off and allowed coin metal to flow into the void. It is a Mint error that happens all the time on just about every denomination.

Chris

4. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Small date. The stuff in the middle is grease filled die or die chip I'm guessing.

edit: see below

5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I defer to Chris.

cpm9ball likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Thumbs up!"
    "Bow"
    "Applause"

Chris:happy:

CoinCorgi likes this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The 1960 Philly small date is the one. The 60-D is a penny. Small or large.
    As a tool to see the difference between 60 small and large dates, then the 60-D is useful. People mistakenly believe the 60-D is valuable because it is a small date, it isn't. Of the 4 types: 60 large, 60 small, 60-D large, 60-D small, only the 60 Philly small date is valuable.
    In the 1960 the small date is actually physically smaller and the numbers are tighter and more closed than the large.
    As for the 1970-S and 1982, I don't think they are physically smaller and the phrase small and large date is just defining a variety and not the actual size.
    Of the 3 dates I mentioned, the 1970-S seems to be the most subtle and difficult to recognize. The 1982 is easy once you are familiar with the 2 different shapes of the #2.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted