Small Cent Shotgun Rolls

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Putmeister, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Putmeister

Putmeister Member

I have gone and done something possibly very stupid. I purchased two “shotgun” rolls off eBay. I thought I would record here the results of my first and possibly last attempt at doing this. I bought them based on the ends. (Too ashamed to say him much I paid). These are then end photos: 1915d Lincoln, 1916 dime, Indian head tails, steelie.
    I’ll post the rest of the results later tonight or tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

GOOD LUCK!

spirityoda likes this.
  4. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Oldest trick on eBay - put a $2 coin on either end and sell the other ordinary 48 cents for a dollar a piece - I think most of us have bought a 'mystery' lot only to learn a valuable lesson - I learned my own lesson after I bought a bulk lot of random, 'usearched' cents scooped from a 50 gal. oil drum full of an 'old man's lifetime hoard' - a few were of minor value, two or three 'salted' IHCs in G condition & the rest were just overpriced wheaties and steelies ;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I look forward to seeing the results...

6. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Hope you find some great stuff. Will watch with interest.

7. Putmeister

Putmeister Member

Roll #1
    Lincolns
    58 p/d, 56d (Xf red?) 55d 52d 46x2 45 44x2 42s 41s 40d 39 37x2 36px2/dx2 (on a nice red-brown) 35px2/d 34x2 30 29p/d 28 27p/d 26 24 21 20s 19sx2 17 16d 15d 14 13 10 09
    Indian head
    1893, 05 07 08
    Dime
    12D, 16

Knowing the contents, what would you have paid?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I haven't opened a roll I have but it has a shield nickel on the end and the rest of the roll is Buffalos. The only problem is the shotgun roll has never been opened but it was carefully widened and unwrapped on the one end. I've had it for years and all I can do is laugh.

9. Putmeister

Putmeister Member

2nd roll was more of the same except a lot more common wheaties...not worth taking the time to list.

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I think most of us have done something dumb when buying coins. They only reason to be embarrassed is if you didn't learn anything and did it again.

Overall, it looks like you learned something and if you're only out the cost of a lunch, it was a cheap tuition payment

11. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Bait and switch. Playing on people's greed. Look up the dollar rolls showing the obverse of an 1889 Morgan on one end, and. BU CC dollar on the other.

12. Putmeister

Putmeister Member

Found a shiny 1953 poor man’s doubled die...thought it was a real one till I did some research.

13. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

1953 or 1955? Just curious...

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A poor man's 1953? Never heard of it. Do you mean 1955?

15. Danomite

Danomite What do you say uh-huh

16. TexAg

TexAg Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted