SLQ Photo--Cast your Vote!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Nov 26, 2010.

?

Which photo do you like the best?

1. Anaconda Photo

61.4%
  2. My Original Photo

2.3%
  3. My Latest Photo

36.4%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Whenever I buy a coin, one of my pet peeves is that I like to use my own photography in my registry sets and collection software. Occasionally, I run into a coin that I just can't photograph better than the seller. Now this happens most often when the seller's photograph is taken by Mark Goodman, Brandon Kelley, Todd Pollack, Bob Campbell etc.

I purchased the following SLQ a few years ago from Anaconda and the photo was taken by Brandon Kelley. Because of the orientation of the coin within the slab insert, it is extremely difficult to get enough light on the surface of the obverse, especially at the top where the toning is located. Last night, I was finally able to capture a photo that I think rivals the quality of the Anaconda photo. I want to know what you guys think. Below I have posted three photos: The Anaconda (Seller) photo, my original photo, and my latest photo.

Anaconda Photo:

[​IMG]

My Original Photo:

[​IMG]

My Latest Photo:

[​IMG]

Please vote for the photo that you like the best in the attached poll. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

It is between the Anaconda photo and your latest photo.
    I chose your latest photo. Your photo has a pasty-perfect feel. It doesn't show the luster but the colors really pop.
    If I were buying the coin, yours would persuade me over Anaconda's. (But I think if either photo would be presented, I'd buy the coin either way)

4. krispy

krispy krispy

Something between Anaconda and your latest. The Anaconda pic seems too over saturated and yellow-greenish, but your latest one seems to lack the density of darks in high contrast areas from Anaconda, and the light areas get too blown-out which seem to flatten the contrast overall, affecting the strength of your colors. This also eliminates some of the details of luster, to me. I think you are on the cusp of matching the Anaconda pic but that the quality of the lamps, the color effect the bulbs have from what they used to that which you are using is going to be the most frustrating to replicate. With a little more density and saturation in your latest pic, I'd vote for your latest pic. So I voted for your latest pic over your original. Anaconda's may be said to be too lush.

5. YoYoSpin

YoYoSpin Active Member

I think the "latest photo" is sharper and provides more detail.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I voted for your latest photo too Paul, but I must ask you, which photo do you feel best represents the coin in hand?

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

All pics look really good but I think the top one looks a bit more refined on the shield and her face. Your lower one looks really good as well! :thumb:

8. oval_man

oval_man Elliptical member

I agree with a lot of what's been said about the Anaconda photo and your latest: the Anaconda is "lush" (or heavy-handed) to the point of raising questions about its reliability—but it does seem to convey the luster better than yours. Something in-between?

9. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

Although I think both of your photos are really good, I like the way the anaconda photo makes the coins overall toning seem natural. Where your second photo shows the colorful toning well, it also seems that the rest of the coin is too white. Almost like the color was a stain and not toning. But like stated before you are the only one who knows what the coin looks like in hand. Beautiful in all 3 pics regardless.

10. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

I think that the Anaconda photo brings out the best of the coin.

11. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

That coin looks as sexy as Maryanne in 69 !

12. green18

I knew that was Mary Ann...you devil. :)

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Yes the latest really brings out the luster and the over all beauty of the coin :)

14. Lehigh96

Now that is a dissenting opinion from the consensus in this thread.

15. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

I am almost shocked that it turned has turned in the direction of Anaconda so far. I just don't see it.
    Sure they are both great photos, but Anaconda's are just over-saturated, just too out there and flashy.

16. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Sorry Tmoney but Anaconda Photo is my vote. The Head looks better and I think it just brings out the coin better.

17. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

I like the Anaconda Photo by a mile.
    However you should pick the photo that looks most like the coin in hand.
    I hate it when i buy a coin based on a photo and then the coin looks nothing like the photo.

18. Lehigh96

My latest photo has not seen any photo editing other than brightness and auto-contrast. However, the Anaconda photo has definitely been saturated using photo editing software. If the Anaconda photo is the limit of acceptable saturation and my photograph is no saturation adjustments, how about meeting somewhere in the middle. The middle photo below is my latest photo +20 saturation and +25 contrast.

Anaconda Photo:

[​IMG]

Juiced Photo:

[​IMG]

My Photo:

[​IMG]

It is funny how some people like the altered photos and others prefer them untouched.

19. green18

Your latest photo (juiced) in my opinion is only slightly different from your original photo. The enhancements you employed did little to sway my opinion that the original photo is the best and the one I feel portrays the closest likeness of the coin in hand.

PS: Sorry about Boise.

20. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I have to say I like the Anaconda photo better. I think you did a great job capturing it as well but whatever they used to shoot it, really brought out the details to the max. They obviously left it a little darker and it allows more of the toning to be separated and stand out. By leaving the dark areas visible, it also allows the luster to show better in their pics, IMO.

The only question now is, what are you attempting to achieve with the pics? Do you want them to represent the best possible picture that can be taken of a coin, or how the coin actually looks in hand? I believe you could justify using either.

21. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I picked the original because I think it shows off the luster on the reverse better. The color just seems like it would represent the coin more accurately. Very Nice looking coin!

Draft saved Draft deleted