SLQ die clash

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bditto39, Jun 22, 2020.

1. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

I bought some 90% at my dealer and picked up his only SLQ in the lot. Still can't tell a date, but its an S mint mark and has a die clash noticeable with the inverted E and L around the left leg. Haven't put it under the scope yet as a last ditch effort to scrounge a date out of it, but hey, it's a variety nonetheless! And it fills the spot in my recently started error and variety type set until something better comes along.

20200621_150228.jpg 20200621_150243.jpg

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinDoctorYT

CoinDoctorYT Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it's nothing. But to me it looks like circulation/damage. The photo isn't high quality enough to tell. I'll wait for the experts

Beefer518 and bditto39 like this.
  4. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

I'm not ruling out damage since it is so worn, but if it is, it's an extremely well placed and perfectly shaped damage in a well-known die clash location for this coin type.

5. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

And I apologize for my pictures...better than my iPhone 7 but the S10E camera still isn't good enough for coins. I need to just get another hobby of photography going to compliment coin collecting.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well spotted! That's one of the diagnostics for the 1918/7-S overdate. (Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that's not the only date where it appears, so it's not enough alone to identify an otherwise dateless coin.)

bditto39 likes this.
  7. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

Thanks! You are right, it isn't enough for an ID since so many others could have the same clash. I think i see a 0 at the end, but im not sure yet. If so, it could be a 1920 S FS-401, but thats just speculation as well if I can't nail down a date. Im ok with a dateless variety though since it does at least fill my album spot for now.

8. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't see what you describe. Where are the inverted E and L?

bditto39 likes this.
  9. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Definitely clash marks.

bditto39 and capthank like this.
  10. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

They are to the right and left of the right leg on liberty just below her knee. Here is a picture of a much better example from the Cherrypicker's Guide of one of the clashes that show up on these type 2a coins.
    Screenshot_20200622-111113_Amazon Kindle.jpg

capthank likes this.
  11. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

The one on my coin is too high for the CPG example of the 1920S that would best match it as far as I can tell, so maybe I can just keep comparing die clash locations until I come up with a match for a date? Idk...not sure if I'm tnat motivated on this one, but I might play around with it.

JeffC likes this.
  12. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

It doesn't have the other main die marker for the 18/17 next to the right pedestal, so i think i can rule that one out, but it would have been nice to find that one! However, I don't know how desirable an overdate is when you can't see the date...lol

13. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Thanks, I think I see it? But does it add any extra value to the coin, or is it just a curiosity as I think it is?

bditto39 likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Die clash

bditto39 likes this.
  15. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

It would if it were in better condition. Like this I think the silver value probably trumps any coin premium that would be there. But then again, I'm sure someone would pay a little for it on ebay though. I am trying to build a collection of variety and error examples, so it is a good find for me.

16. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

I have a 1930 SLQ with the same die clash (to the left of her right knee)! I didn't know what it was till the folks here educated me last year when I posted it. It's the only die clash (that I know of) that I've got. SLQ-R copy.jpg

bditto39 likes this.
  17. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

If I can't see it I don't buy it. That's just me!

18. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

I would hope not.

19. bditto39

bditto39 Active Member

If you change your mind though I've got 50 pounds of invisible leprechaun gold ill let you have real cheap.

Beefer518 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted