SlQ Dates

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinlover67, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if all dates of SlQ are prone to the date wearing off, or just the 1916-1924 dates. My grandpa had a date less SlQ that he showed me when I was very new to the hobby, but I did not know the difference between the T1 and T2.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

All dates can wear off, but with "TY-III*" (1925-30) only in rather extreme cases. It's the TY-I and earlier TY-II that are most often encountered.

*should be

4. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

There are diagnostics to tell between 1916 T1 and 1917 T1. Most exist even in Poor 1.

The dates on Type 3* SLQs only wear off in extreme cases, as Books said. How it took them nine years to catch the SLQ but less than one year to catch the Type 1 Buffalo Nickel is beyond me.

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Ok, Thank you that gives me a general idea of the date range and next I go over I will see if it is a T1 or T2.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

6. coinquest1961

coinquest1961 Well-Known Member

I agree about the 1913 Var 1 Buffs. The date on these wore off just as quickly as on the var 1 and 2 SLQ. I've seen 1913 Var 1 Buffs that would grade VF using today's standards with a barely legible date. The rest of the nickels were more resistant to the loss of the date as modifications were made beginning with the 1913 Var 2. I can say that when I started collecting in the summer of 1961 it was nearly impossible to find a dated pre 1925 quarter-I only found one, a 1920-D.

Draft saved Draft deleted