Slightly Disappointed at Coin Show

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kasia, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I go to a smallish show a couple times a year and though it is generally a pleasant outing, just like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you will get.

[​IMG]

Today's show was one where there was, for what seems like so far one of a few days worth of really nice weather in my area, a good day to get out and go. But there were only about 4-5 dealers there that had all coins and unfortunately, for the coins on my list of ones I might want more than others, no-one had any that fit my criteria. No matter, still had a great time, and picked up a couple of really not costly (both for under 20.00 total) coins not on my list but that caught my interest, and something else that I will later sell. Thinking with luck, I will maybe make enough money on the 'something else' so that the two coins will essentially be 'free' (or nearly so).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So.... Looks like I will have to target going to another show this month with my list and see what show up.

[​IMG]
    (or Sunday)

In the meantime, I am trying to figure out which of the modern commemoratives I may like the best for my 7070 and I did get a chance to look at some in hand to start making my decision.

[​IMG]

(All photos generic)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

I personally like small shows. I can spend quite a bit of time at a single table, exploring what the dealer has to sell.

The photos are nice; some interesting non-coin items in the first coin show photo.

I am not a fan of the modern commemoratives except for two: the 1982 George Washington half, and the 2000 Lief Ericson. What are you leaning towards purchasing?

Kasia likes this.
  4. Kasia

I do like the George Washington, so maybe that could be the one I get.

5. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the 1982 George Washington or the 1986 Statue of Liberty commemorative half dollars are both solid choices for the commemorative slot in the 7070.

Kasia likes this.
  6. Kasia

I also like the 2016 National Parks one. A bit busy in design, but could be one that 'lasts' as far as a preferred choice. However, the Geo. Washington is one that is more conservatively handsome.

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If I'm not mistaken, that is the lowest mintage for the modern clad commems

8. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow thinks the Breast Cancer unc. half might hold the record for lowest mintage modern half.
    Meow would maybe like to go to a show one day. But house Cats with agoraphobia don't do well away from home. The Cat hoard gives Meow comfort for now.

9. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I think I would enjoy a small coin show. I went to a show a few months back... I would guess 60-80 tables. I felt like all I could do was glance over each table for the highlights. I am one of those guys that goes into brain overload when presented with too much at once. I could do a show with four tables.

10. Kasia

Sorry you have that difficulty. Maybe some day it will happen. Some shows end up not having a lot of people and maybe you can find someone to take you and be supportive.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    MeowtheKitty likes this.
  11. MeowtheKitty

Meow does not know what a dome show is. What is it?
    And Meow does not know anyone who collects anything. This is the only place Meow can have a conversation about hobbies. Very educational too.

12. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

A show with 60 to 80 tables with some decent dealers is ideal, but quite honestly I am fired up about the ANA show in Chitown in August

mlov43, mikenoodle and Kasia like this.
  13. MeowtheKitty

ANA show would make Meow implode with anxiety...………………….Cubs Win??????

14. Kasia

Just corrected that.... Some not Dome.

15. MeowtheKitty

Oh, oooops.

16. Kasia

I am thinking of going, but don't like the idea of driving in Chicago.

17. Kasia

@MeowtheKitty Hey, we can maybe put on a virtual show for you.... You tell what couple/few coins (not expensive) you would like to buy at a show, and we (me and maybe some other volunteers) can look, maybe pick up one or two, take some pics at the tables and send you the coins (posting the pics here). It will almost be like you went to one. Maybe even take pics not showing lots of people at a table.

-jeffB and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

What a cool idea.

19. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Cool enough that if someone (and volunteers) did a thread, we could all feel like we were there. Touring a show floor is chaotic at best, so even a rough jumble of photos would be fun.

Kasia and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  20. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

How about the Madison half dollar? It's the only 90% silver in the 'modern' run.......

21. Kasia

I like the Dolley Madison dollar (1999). Think that is a pretty design on a coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted