Sleeper Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Duke Kavanaugh, Feb 18, 2010.

1. au and ms coins

au and ms coins Junior Member

I think proof liberty nickels are underpriced and go for less than 1880's proof shield nickels even though most of them have only about 2,000 minted, or about 1,000 less than 1880's proof shield nickels

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Yep, all US uncirculated mint sets and uncirculated presidential sets.

4. Honolulu Dick

Honolulu Dick Junior Member

Sleeper may not be exactly the correct term, but Chinese silver coins are being prodded to wake-up. China's growing importance as an economic powerhouse and as a "world player", is causing people to become interested in and in wanting to own something Chinese. This results in pressuring prices upwards for items that are of genuine origin. Also, the new Chinese middle class is beginning to travel in numbers. They have money to spend and they are spending it. The Chinese tourists, who are coin collectors, are prowling local coin shops, searching for Chinese silver. These coins are more affordable here than in China, so they buy what's available. As a result, dealers are pricing their inventories upwards. The trade dollar-size coins that floated in the $35 to $50 dollar range are now being priced at $100 plus. This is within the past couple of years. Another dealer was in the shop at the time and he confirmed he was experiencing the same situation. In fact, he had placed a sign in his window stating he would pay a premium for Chinese silver. This demand is expected to not only continue, it is expected to increase as more and more Chinese learn the joys of traveling. It's only a matter of time before Hawaii becomes "fly over" territory and this trend spreads across the "mainland", from sea to shining sea.

While in the coin store, I was going through he owner's English portfolio, looking for colonial period silver. He had misfiled an 1879 Hong Kong Trade Dollar and the coin holder was priced at an unbelievable $19.00, with no chop marks. He offered to pay me $20.00 if I didn't buy it. He had forgotten about the coin, would give it a bath to remove the grime and reprice it in the $100 plus range. Being the clever thief that I am, I baught the coin for the price as marked. True, this is only a single incident, but it indicates an upward trend in the value of or for Chinese silver. The once sleeping dragon has awakened ..... he's on the prowl, devouring all that he holds dear, regardless of price.

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I can see where Hawaii would be a good place to see this trend start happening too.
    The counterfeits just drive me crazy from there so I stay away China stuff because of it.

6. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

It's funny all silver pandas and gold ones in my area are acid tested then melted. Too many fakes, Chinese screwed themselves over

Draft saved Draft deleted