Sleeper Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Duke Kavanaugh, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

As my late father worked for the federal reserve bank ...I can tell you it is a fact that there are thousands of tons of dollar coins in storage. And has been for as many years that he worked for the bank which was 47 years retiring in 1974 .....and still is today as congress and law makers still produce coins that "We The People " refuse to use! Waste and more waste...Ya know Canada has not printed any paper dollars in years and must use dollar coins. Now in Ecuador they use SAC's dollars for two reasons one is the sac image looks like the people of this country,and that paper money rots in tropical climate! Plus the fact they need not spend money to print money a win /win for them...This reminds me being in the perishable food business for over 40 years a time when our goverment who subsidized dairy products IE milk / cheese well back in the late 70's early 80's the U.S. goverment gave away blocks of American cheese to the poor of this country ....not because they wanted to help the poor ...but because it cost more to store it then to give it away! DUH! So if this goverment was smart they use what they have in storage of coined dollars and stop printing bills as Canada did..... However we just beat Canada in Hockey so we got that going for US! :hammer:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Breezo

Breezo Coins are fun

4. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Have you actually seen any BU bags of Ikes issued by the FED in the last quarter of a century?

5. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

Oh wow great to hear some confirmation on this. All my info comes from the bankers which I take with a grain of salt but also from the history channel when they did a special on the federal reserve and when they did another on coinstar and yet another about Brinks.
    And yes we did beat canada 5-3 Major upset. Maybe thye should go back to printing paper :) lol.
    I actually dont have a problem with sacs being used elsewhere, eprsonally they didnt catch on, I thought they would be a new SBA but also this will make the market for MS grade SAC go higher due to more being in circualtion(My opinion, its flawed, but I like it)

Yup. I request them from my favorite bank branch on occasion. Only have seen two, one in 2006 and one in early 2009. Not going to lie even in BU they have weak strikes most of them. However I have ordered 14 bags of eisenhowers so far, so they may be a small percentage. I prefer circulated bags, they usualy have some proofs and even if theyre messed up theyre worth their silver.
    Just ask your favorite bank branch once in a while. they do it for me, I dont ask often since I know it costs them money and I dont want them to cut off this service...

I do find eisenhwoers amazing but alas I am quite young so I wasnt around for atheir hype or the bicentenial quarters, or the great melts. I was in middle school during 9/11 and school was canceled since SF thought the last flight was intended for them. But regardless Not as much experience as some of you older guys but I am shrewd and resourceful and quite successful. Regardless I still think the 3 cent nickel is a better bet. or DMPL morgans...

6. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

On another note, I think another sleeper may be the 1882 o/s and 1900 o/cc
    Theyre not extremely rare but theyre underappreciated and many that were in circulation may have been mistaken for ocmmon date 1882 O and 1900 O. My personal opinion, the under marks are not visible to the eye.

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Coin designs are a sign of their time and aren't authorized without approval from the "powers that be"...I think all designs are eventually appreciated for the era they represent.

I used to hate the Sinnock designs, but have grown to appreciate them. They had a tough act to follow.

8. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

96W dime/No S dime - The Noost
    all the Roosevelts in higher (reasonably high) grades - Art
    31D Mercury - Just Carl
    1998 SMS silver Kennedy - TopcatCoin
    nothing - Pocket change
    1990 NO S Proof Lincoln Cent - bhp3rd
    1999 Proof Anthony Dollar - abe
    1997 P Jefferson Nickel in matte proof - JJK78
    2009 p dime in ms66 - davemac
    Modern commemorative, Specifically Dollars - BUBAGS
    Deep mirror proof like morgan - cerdsalicious
    '82-P quarter in near gem - cladking
    Anna Harrison First Spouse gold coin (proof or unc) - yakpoo
    Liberty Quarter Eagle from 1890 to 1895 - omegafactor
    Any bulliion nickel - sunflower
    1880-1888 Philly minted Seated quarters - PFCBEGA
    Non-U.S. coins from 1950 and back - dctjr80
    pre 82 commems w/ low mintages - ddoomm1
    1994 and 1997 nickels - bqcoins
    Barber dimes 01s and 13s nice ones - Victor
    1994 and 1997 nickels - Paddy54
    Poo Poo'd it all - Pocket Change
    Brown Wheat Cents - Illini420
    Conder Tokens - LeHigh96
    1927s SLQ - Duke
    1982 No "P" dime - ML94539
    Sacagawea 2004 P ,D & S through 2005 P , D & S - kangayou
    Half Cents - Lugia
    3 cent nickels - cerdsalicious
    early ('60s and '70s) clad coinage - yakpoo
    1914 Barber half - Breezo
    Swiss Schutzenfest (Shooting) Medals from 1900-1935 - hiho
    .....1927-p peace dollar - grizz
    .....1935-p peace dollar - grizz
    .....1926-s buffalo nickel - grizz
    1927-p peace dollar - Mr. Coin Lover
    EISENHOWER DOLLAR - Stewart
    Type B Washingtons, Type II Halves - jaceravone

Quite a eclictic bunch of choices there!

I"m thinking in the short run and from people's posts that most agree the 96w dime and matte Jeffersons are the best but alot think Ikes are too. For your money you can get alot of Ikes for you cash and if they go up much that would be a good sleeper.

But as posted here before, WHO KNOWS :D

Anymore out there we have a guess at...come on, like Yakpoo said:

"Everyone else is sharing..."

9. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

Ahh In all honesty eisenhowers seem to be a curious piece for general opublic rather than a serious collectors item.
    Not saying there arent ppl out there going for it, its just like If i have a ms IKE and a AU Ike they both will sell for around the same price. tehyre not heavily collected they seem to be like the bicentenial quarter. IMO.

10. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

I still like PCGS FS PR70 Spouse coins...even though they don't make the list.

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The bicentennial quarter isn't cheap because there's little demand, it's cheap because it is distressingly common. Ikes aren't common except for three of the bicentennial issues in unc. (unless some really are in FED storage). Ikes are common enough that only a few issues have a big premium in MS-60 but none are common in gem or even near-gem.

12. Breezo

Breezo Coins are fun

So far the 2008 Kennedy is 1.7 mil for P and D mints, It's the key date so far in the entire series. I bought a few rolls just in case. I think that another hibernating coin would be 1913 14 and 15 Barber half low grade coins, they are low priced despite mintage amounts.

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

All Barber coins.

14. sunflower

sunflower New Member

My 2 cents worth still shouts nickels!

Fun list. Thank you for the poll.

It is interesting, and more importantly a nice way to learn a little more about the CT membership.

Like LadiesFirst, I also appreciate the First Spouse gold. The backs are my favorite. Some of the generic "Liberty" fronts are fascinating.

15. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Barber dimes.

Especially Barber dimes. I like a half dollars also, but will dig deeper into my pockets to get a dime.

16. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

Duke, You keep listing the 1998 S SMS kennedy as Silver, when it's the Copper-Nickel clad that is a SMS coin.

The PCGS price guide quotes a 1998 S Silver Kennedy Half $ MS 69 at $55.00, while the clad 1998 S Kennedy Half SMS coin is $300.00

It was a bit confusing at first. But if that's the sleeper, I think it already woke up.

Bruce

17. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

I believe there are 3 1998 S half dollars: clad, silver and SMS silver that was only found on 2 coin set with RFK silver dollar. Duke is refering to the SMS silver half.

18. Danr

Danr Numismatist

That depends on the degree to which collectors and the coin market in general make a distinction between satin and business strike. I had thought that we'd see Dansco albums with both and the PCGS registry acknowledge both but this does not seem to be happening. As long as they are lumped together coins like this will be nothing.

19. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

They will always be different to me! I keep my satins in my "Including Proof Only" Danscos and my bus strikes in the P & D Danscos.

20. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

How about an 1893 O Morgan silver dollar? with a pop of only 300,000. ya think this coin would be off the charts?

21. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Roar-Roar-...

Hope that helps you feel better.

I think you did good.

Draft saved Draft deleted