Slavey forgeries for sale on Biddr

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by zadie, Oct 22, 2021.

1. zadie

zadie Well-Known Member

Attempting to imitate drachms of Lysimachus (Thompson 118), these coins were made as reproductions by Slavey Petrov. They have subsequently been doctored to appear more genuine and multiple examples have been sold as genuine at auctions.

lysimachos_0.jpg

Published in Modern Forgeries of Greek & Roman Coins, Prokopov 1997. Obv plate 35, Rev Plate 33.

2275583_1634545519.jpg

Dara E-Auction 3, Lot 1039

2275584_1634545520.l.jpg

Dara E-Auction 3, Lot 1040

Links:
    https://www.biddr.com/auctions/daramuseum/browse?a=2065&l=2275583

https://www.biddr.com/auctions/daramuseum/browse?a=2065&l=2275584

Both coins have been reported to the auction house.

RupertP, PeteB, ominus1 and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

It's hard to imagine anyone would be fooled by a Slavey Petrov replica unless they are virgin to the hobby. Slavey's coins are not counterfeits, they are style-copy replicas not meant to fool anyone unless they have been altered. He is a talented engraver with a unique style, nearly all his coins are signed, & his coins are pressed, not struck. I bought the Slavey replica pictured below over 10 years ago.

1950396.jpg
    Slavey Petrov off-metal (gold) replica of a Troas-Tenedos tetradrachm originally struck in silver. This replica was made in his German workshop about 20 years ago. AV Tetradrachm: 19.89 gm, 35 mm, 12 h. Obverse: Janiform head of Zeus & Hera. Reverse: Double headed axe, monogram & clump of grapes in left field, monogram & image of Artemis with stag in right field, all contained within a wreath. There is a micro signature near the wreath between the 9:00/10:00 o'clock position.

PeteB, rrdenarius, Nathan B. and 4 others like this.
  4. zadie

zadie Well-Known Member

Agreed! They're fun but not really something I'm interested in collecting personally. The Slavey style is quite distinctive as you say but these doctored coins do slip in from time to time, even at some of the bigger auction houses.

il_1140xN.2392110818_jcg0.jpg

Picture from his store on Etsy.

PeteB, ominus1 and Roman Collector like this.
  5. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

I’ve seen that exact coin come up in an auction within the last month or two.. and now I can’t find the listing.

6. Dwarf

Dwarf Active Member

ominus1, paschka, zadie and 2 others like this.
  7. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

Surprisingly the Naumann listing says Ex Hirsch 264, 164.. so this coin got through not 1 but 2 respectable auction houses?

Nathan B. likes this.
  8. zadie

zadie Well-Known Member

Woah! I missed this one completely. That is atrocious.. However I'm certain Naumann has/will refund the buyer.

9. Ricardo123

Ricardo123 Well-Known Member

zadie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted