slabbing

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jonathan layne, Mar 14, 2019.

1. jonathan layne

jonathan layne Well-Known Member

how would i go about getting my 1934 cent slabbed?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Noah Finney likes this.
  4. jonathan layne

5. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

Do you have pictures? Unless it is proof it is probably not worth getting graded. Some of the slabbing cost can be outrages, You could pay up to 200 dollars just for getting something slabbed that is only worth 10.
    https://www.ngccoin.com/

https://www.pcgs.com/

6. jonathan layne

it has sentimental value

Noah Finney likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

If I had one coin that I wanted slabbed... I would go see my local dealer and ask him to include it with his submissions. That would be your most cost effective way to go about it. Thing is, you have no way of knowing if he is planning to send his submissions this week or next month. Just talk with him about it.

cpm9ball likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You can also try a LCS - Local Coin Shop. Find out if they are members of any of these known TPG's and they can do the submission for you.

Oh.. what @Randy Abercrombie just said! ;)

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  9. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Photos, please. Then the good folks on CT can give you good advice, perhaps saving you some money if it isn't worth sending to a third party grader (TPG).

Steve

10. jonathan layne

the only reason im wanting to have it slabbed, is because it has sentimental value

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Slab it yourself. It's not worth having it done by a grading service.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  12. jonathan layne

i want it in something other than a 2X2. how can i slab it myself

13. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

imrich likes this.
  14. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Anything sentimental that you want the best protection for is worth it. Not everything is about money

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    gronnh20, imrich and cpm9ball like this.
  16. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Might just be my ignorance as I have yet to send anything to a TPG, but if it's just a standard coin and not looking to get it attributed, wouldn't it just cost the min amount the TPG offers? Like $25?

If it "isn't worth slabbing", then I don't see how it would be a crazy cost. I don't see anything wrong with doing it if you want to see what it grades and don't care about it costing ~$30.

However, if it was me, I would just buy the slab myself and put it in. I wouldn't want to risk a sentimental piece in the mail.

jonathan layne and paddyman98 like this.
  17. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

You're forgetting shipping and handling. If you're only submitting one coin, add another $10 for handling/processing and $20 for shipping to that amount. Those fees shake out in the end when you're putting together a large submission, but for only one coin it will more than double the cost.

TyCobb likes this.
  18. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

No doubt. But he did say it was meaningful to him. And that often trumps cost. And if the intent of meaningful is that the coin will remain in the family for future generations, they would certainly appreciate the attribution..... I always believed that coins that carried a family heritage were the most meaningful coins and should be slabbed.

jonathan layne, Jaelus and TyCobb like this.
  19. jonathan layne

thank you all for your input and your understanding. i am thinking now that slabbing it myself seems to be the safest route to go.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you do want to have a TPG slab it (and not self slab) and it is just for sentimental value your best deal would probably be ANACS, ICG of if you attend a show where they are at, SEGS. PCGS or NGC would be way too expensive

Oldhoopster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted