Slabbing blanks & planchets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JCro57, Feb 14, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Screenshot_2018-02-16-05-34-00.png

paddyman98 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Finally! Interesting. Looks to have been certified a long time ago with the old NGC slab. I would send it to be put into a new pronged holder if it were mine.
    That Planchet could of belonged to @Fred Weinberg at once. I think he added those clear stickers to his slabs to describe the raised rim.

4. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

I called him and John Sullivan. Both Fred and John said it has been several years since they saw one loose or slabbed. I have the feeling I will never see one other than the one I posted. Can't even find one that ever sold on Heritage's site...hmmm...

Now time for three dumb questions: as for Lincoln cents, I have a Type 1 and Type 2 copper; a Type 1 and Type 2 unplated zinc; a type 2 copper-plated zinc...1. Is "bronze" the same as "copper" (pretty sure it is) and; 2
    Is there a Type 1 copper-plated zinc (I was told there isn't). 3. Are there any I am missing for unstuck Lincolns assuming there isn't a Type 2 copper-plated cent?

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

this caption should read:

A bin of blanks destined to go into storage for years.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

1. For all practical purposes yes. Technically the "copper" Lincoln cents come in two different alloys but for the most part no one bothers to differentiate them. From 1909 to 1942, and 1946 to 62 the alloy was 95% copper 5% tin and zinc, withthe exact proportions of tin and zinc varying. Then from 1963 to 1982 the alloy was 95% copper 5% zinc, no tin. The first alloy is technically bronze, the second is a brass. But the only way to tell them apart is either by destructive analysis, or use of an XRF gun checking to see if any tin is present.
    2. There shouldn't be. They punch the blanks from the zinc stip, then they upset the edges and then they do the plating. It could be conceivably possible for a zinc blank to miss the upsetting and then get plated. I believe I mentioned that earlier as being an "error error". A type 1 blank should not get out (first error) and a type 1 blank should not get plated (second error).
    3. Type 1 and 2 steel cent blanks were not mentioned.

No to the presses to be made into dollar coins to be sold direct to collectors. (and then they will store them.)

JCro57 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted