Slabbed Vs raw in the future.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

In the future, will it become harder to find problem free coins in the raw, as more coins end up in plastic?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

It already is.

4. JCB1983

JCB1983 Learning

A lot of raw large cents out there.

5. Detecto92

When I 1st started buying coins more seriously, I loved slabbed coins. The neat look of a tidy little plastic package, keeping the coin better protected then a lousy flip. All the info about the coin was neatly displayed on it as well.

But now my opinion has changed a lot. When you buy a slabbed coin, it will sit in that little plastic slab, forever.

This might be okay for really expensive coins, say $200+, but for cheap stuff, it's actually nice to be able to hold a piece of history in your hand (by the edges of course). So now I buy mostly raw coins.

6. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I have something in a slab but an air-tight seems to have the same effect and are easier to store.

7. Detecto92

The main gripe I have with slabs, is that they scratch easily, even the "scratch resistant" one put out by NGC does as bad as the original. If you buy a slabbed coin, they often become scratched from handling. This can make it much harder to photograph.

8. The TPG slab is a coin's final resting place. ;)

I agree that for high value collector coins slabs make sense. However, there will always be a demand for raw coins. It always amazes me how many modern coins, particularly bullion issues, are being slabbed and sold at such huge premiums. I only buy them when the price is close to raw, and of course only if I really like the coin. :smile The bottom is going to fall out of the graded modern bullion coin market, and some folks are going to lose big money. :eek: TC

9. Detecto92

I agree with you. I can buy a 2012 Silver Eagle for about $36.50 shipped. Slab it, and it's now $10 more.

10. buddy16cat

I really don't understand why bullion coins are slabbed. They often come right from the mint and how much do they really circulate? It is not like they were used as money and passed from one person to the next for a century or more until they make it into someone's collection. By then, you want a way to describe its condition and want to make sure it is authentic. It is true that counterfeit silver eagles are made overseas but if you buy them from a dealer authorized by the mint, what the likelihood of getting one of these?

11. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

How much profit do you make after you get it slabbed???

12. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Not true, sell the coin to me and it will be cracked out as soon as I get home.

The whole deal kinda sucks for people that don't like slabs, particularly when seeking out higher end coins. Knowing that I am going to crack it out, I hate paying big money for a slabbed coin because I feel that some of the cost (and inherent value) are for the slab itself. On the other hand, I also do not like spending big money on raw coins. This isn't because I appreciate a coin more if it's been slabbed, it's because I'm thinking that if there wasn't something wrong with the coin then the dealer would have sent it in for grading. I've actually had a seller tell me, "if a dealer has a raw coin in the case then there is something wrong with it". Of course, that same guy then offered me a raw trime labeled AU58 and said that it was problem free. Hah, go figure! (Ya, I bought it :eek:)

13. buddy16cat

I bought a BU 2011 Silver Eagle from Silvertowne for $35 from Silvertowne with free shipping, $4 more than their signature bullion bars. Since they are listed as an authorized dealer on usmint.gov I don't see the reason why you would need a slab. I have this round I got as a gift from Stauer and it is in a slab and don't understand why. Fortunately it was bought with gift certificates received when the buyer got some sort of membership (the gift certificates say no coins but they allowed them to buy it anyhow and allowed them to combine gift certificates).
    doubleeagle.jpg

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here is a different perspective for you to consider. There are far more problem free coins in the world than there are problem free coins already in slabs.

BTW, I recall you were getting interested in Great Britain copper. :) Essentially all of it is raw. Certainly, there are some pieces in US collector hands (like mine) that are slabbed. My SWAG is that 99% of Great Britain pennys are currently raw.

15. Detecto92

Ya. That's another reason why I quit buying slabbed. It's much harder to find old world copper slabbed, and when it is, it usually high grade stuff that is worth big bucks.

16. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I'm trying to view your new avatar. Maybe you could post it so we could get a better look at it? It appears to be a coin with history & perhaps a good story.

Please don't "quit" buying slabbed coins. Just buy whatever coin you like/need regardless of whether or not it is slabbed. :)

Some will criticize me for this. I purchased more than a couple high grade pennies that were raw & I am the guy that slabbed them. :eek:

17. Detecto92

It's just a STLQ that I bought for melt off a friend that buys silver and gold.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Ya know Detecto, if you are interested in problem free, affordable 18th & 19th century copper, you should seriously consider collecting conder tokens. Even in high grades, they do not break the bank.

[​IMG]

19. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

And one whole long, long, long week before....

http://www.cointalk.com/t207967/

So between June 14th and June 21st your entire outlook has done a 180 (again)? Why do I have a feeling that in another week we will see the coins du jour on the sale board? While your enthusiasm is commendable, I cannot help but wonder what this is really about.. is it the coins or the buy? Find something you like and stick with it for a while.. there is more to enjoy than just buying.

Draft saved Draft deleted