Slabbed Modern Day Coins Why ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jfscmedic, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

A lot of plastic died for those salbs, needlessly

mikenoodle likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I'd be interested in hearing the story of why you would go to the time, expense and trouble of sending coins to be graded but then not accept what you were told. If you can't accept the word of an expert, why bother?

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

The only good plastic is dead plastic. :p

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Okay, so I'll tell you the story.

14 of the 52 coins came back MS68. I did not disagree with these grades. The remaining 38 coins graded MS67, and of these, about 12 should have graded MS68 as well. In fact, most of these coins looked just as good if not better than those that actually graded MS68.

However, I'm not the sort of collector who resubmits and resubmits and resubmits hoping for a better grade. I made a decent profit off of the original submission, and maybe, just maybe, someone down the road will acquire one of these MS67's and think it is worthy enough to resubmit it for a better grade. If nothing else, they could get it to CAC.

For what it's worth, 11 of the rest of the MS67's have a neat little die gouge on the obverse, and I still have these. I don't know what they might be worth because I've always believed that error coins are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. The fact that all of them are MS67 business strikes makes them interesting.

So, there you have the whole story. It wasn't because I wanted better grades for the MS68's, and I can understand why you jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Chris

6. cpm9ball

As a matter of fact, Frank, plastic trees are now extinct.

Chris

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Probably way down the road........How long do you think it'll be before John accepts 'moderns'?

8. cpm9ball

Who knows! I'll probably be dead and gone. Personally, I don't use CAC anyway.

Chris

9. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

but... but...

I just had one at Christmas!!!

10. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Question. Is what you're showing what you picked up or are they are more. The only reason I'm asking, I'm not in to slab coins myself. But recently have been going through sites for estate sales. Have seen the modern day slab coins for as low as two dollars a slab. You do not have a choice in what you purchased. It's all random.:happy::blackalien:

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You left something out. I know you had a lot of fun. Not many ways to have a great time and be paid for it.:D

cpm9ball likes this.
  12. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

You can find nice clean coins in bags that the services will give high grades.

But most of these coins will be poorly struck from worn, tired dies. To me they are not "Gems" at all in most cases.

Many, even most, of the coins in mint sets are banged up but they are banged up Gems with crisp strikes from brand new and properly aligned dies. And with effort I can find some that are pretty clean.

Of course it depends on the specific denomination, date, and mint. There are a few coins where the best coins probably are in bags. This is a moot point for something like a '69-P quarter since you can't find any rolls and bags of these.

Draft saved Draft deleted