Slabbed coins are cool and all...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CircCam, Nov 17, 2019.

1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

...but there’s nothing like holding some in your hand, appreciating their history and imagining where they went! I haven’t done this in way too long.

94E55C96-6A54-4422-8457-F362B5D696BC.jpeg
    9F769B74-AD1A-4270-A4FB-2D0ACE7D51B3.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Come on over to the ancients board, we do this every day! After being in the ground for 1800+ years... a few fingerprints are no problem.
    coinshand2.jpg

Geta
    Caracalla
    Elagabalus
    Severus Alexander
    Maximinus I
    Gordian III

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  4. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

Therefore I assume you to fill a Dansco for the less worthable coins.....the better ones stay in the slab.
    There is no need to grab them.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  5. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Indeed! Great coins and thank you for sharing. If anyone else wants to share their favorites in-hand here, please do.

I did go the Dansco route but found myself cracking more slabs than I wanted to for the tougher types, so now I keep a raw capsule box for less expensive coins (sub $100) instead.

I marvel the history of these daily, slabbed or not....it’s the holding part that I need to do more often. There’s something to be said for it that I don’t quite get handling plastic.

dwhiz and Rheingold like this.
  6. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

@CircCam , I could not agree with you, and with @Orange Julius more.

There is nothing like the tactile feel of a coin directly in your hand. 95 % of my collection is plastic-free, and most of it will remain that way.

Galba in hand obv - 1.jpg Galba in hand rev - 1.jpg

7. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@CircCam, I noticed the Stephen Ambrose book in the photo; I just started that one a few weeks ago. I love his works. Got waylaid because a friend borrowed me the latest Lee Child and John Sanford books and I needed to get them back to him.

Steve

CircCam likes this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Yes sir, John. There is sound reason to have coins certified and protected. But I completely connect with the history when I hold a coin in my hand. Been that way for me since my first.

CircCam, furryfrog02 and Stevearino like this.
  9. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Yes, he is good. I am really enjoying this one, it’s riveting and also surprisingly humorous at times (mostly due to Custer’s outlandish decision-making.)

10. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Finished that one today, I highly recommend it. A well-crafted take on a very complicated chapter in our nation’s history that stays objective and acknowledges that there are generally both admirable and unfortunate individuals on any side of a large conflict.

The digital version is currently viewable on Kindle with an Amazon Prime membership.

11. Stevearino

What blew me away in the beginning of the book were the parallels between Custer and Crazy Horse. My son and his family live in Custer, SD, with the Crazy Horse mountain carving just outside of town. Well worth a visit for anyone in the Black Hills.

Steve

Collecting Nut and CircCam like this.
  12. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Agreed, I was fortunate to visit the Hills and see that. This was over ten years ago but as I recall at the time, they ran into some serious structural problems with Crazy Horse’s carving. Sure hope they are able to complete it as the setting is incredible as is the projected monument.

13. Stevearino

They've been proceeding, albeit slowly. They actually haven't blasted in five years, except for "show." They have been doing carving on Crazy Horse's head and his horse with pneumatic tools instead of dynamite.

Mrs. Ziolkowski died a few years ago; I've seen their tombs (access open to the public only one day a year). The children are in charge now.

Steve

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Been there and done that and yes, it's well worth the visit.

Stevearino likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

My Antoninus Pius sestertius hanging out with his lookalikes from @Aethelred's collection.

(Left, Antoninus Pius; Top: Hadrian; Bottom Marcus Aurelius)

IMG_9199.jpg

The Antoninus Pius is a relatively common coin but with very nice surfaces.
    [​IMG]

The Hadrian sestertius (ex- Boston Museum of Fine Arts) also used to be mine.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    Orange Julius, CircCam and Stevearino like this.
  16. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

I generally only buy them graded for authentication. They end up getting cracked out and stored in the much more appealing discs like those in the background. The exception would be attributed varieties.

Draft saved Draft deleted