Slab storage box size question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ZoidMeister, Oct 23, 2020.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I have several of these. This one holds my father's birth year set. IMG_20201029_201836780.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Very cool set!!!

wxcoin likes this.
  4. Rodney Cole

Rodney Cole I do not keep foreign coins.

Harbor Freight

Attached Files:

ZoidMeister, beaver96 and wxcoin like this.
  5. steve westermeier

steve westermeier Cancer sucks!

That was my father's birth year also and, I've been gettin' no respect for 64 years! Born in 56....... Nice set!

LA_Geezer and wxcoin like this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Jim read post #50 in this thread.

To answer your questions about paper, cardboard - yes, it's all harmful to coins.

To read more detailed responses use the Search function. Use proper coin storage as your key words and put my user name in the Posted By Member box. That will bring up more than you want to read about proper coin storage.

7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

But HOW harmful -- has there ever been studies done ?

I mean...gasses from cardboard and wood...are we talking microscopic levels that only Sandia Labs could measure ?
    :D

If I had a 7 or 6 or even 5-figure coin maybe I'd think twice about putting it anywhere near wood. But unless coins were near heavily-shellacked or painted wood products where you can smell the vapors/gasses....I just don't know, GD.

But I respect your opinion and knowledge on all things coins so I am going to read your PCS threads as you indicated, thanks.

chascat likes this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

GD, I found all the threads, thanks for the heads-up.

Without reading them yet....it does appear that most of the Q&A and threads deal with older methods of storage (i.e., Whitman cardboard albums) and DIRECT CONTACT....not TPG-sealed coins in proximity to wood (heck, there's a paper label inside the slab !!).

Wouldn't you agree direct contact with the methods we used to traditionally store coins involves a much higher degree of "contamination" than having a PCGS or NGC slab near a bunch of books (paper) or inside a Lighthouse wood/glass holder ?

wxcoin and chascat like this.
  9. wxcoin

I guess one could easily argue that no current method is perfect; it depends on ones definition of contamination. None of the slabbed coins are vacuum sealed in a gasless environment. I doubt if there's any plastic that doesn't leach out some sort of chemical; the rate varies among all types. Preservation methods today are superior to those a century ago but even with that said, many well preserved century old coins exist; usually with some sort of toning. I for one want to do my best to preserve coins in my collection but also have to weigh the costs in doing so and for how long.

chascat and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  10. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

FWIW, here are my criteria for storage of both slabbed and raw coins:

1) Paper labels and envelopes that are in CLOSE proximity to the coins are acid-free artist's paper. By "close", I mean zero or one degrees of separation. For example, for a TPG slabbed coin, the slab itself represents one degree of separation. For a raw coin with any kind of container where the label is inside the container, that is zero degrees of separation. For things like 3-ring binders with vinyl covers and cardboard, the one degree of separation rule is satisfied by the coin holder. More than one degree of separation doesn't require any special protection measures.

2) For raw copper coins that are red-brown or red, or brown but quite valuable, I take extra precautions. If the coin holder of choice is a cardboard 2 x 2, I use the Supersafe product which has an adhesive closure that is claimed to provide a more-or-less hermetic environment. How true that is may be a matter of debate but it's got to be better than a stapled 2x2. The Supersafe product provides one layer of separation from the cardboard and from anything else while a stapled 2x2 has zero layers of separation. Downsides are they are considerably more expensive and thinner than the stapled product. The thinness means that the surface of the coin sticks above the level of the cardboard to a greater degree than the stapled product. So more thoughtful means must be taken to protect the surface of the coin from inadvertent contact. For 3-ring binders, I insert a sheet of heavy acid-free paper between the sheets holding the 2x2s, and front/back covers.

3) Humidity control. I keep my coins in a de-humidified semi-hermetic space where the ambient humidity outside the coin storage space is kept fairly constant. So, the moisture "leakage" into the de-humidified coin storage space is reduced by virtue of the reduced vapor pressure potential.

4) Relatively constant temperature. By keeping the coin storage space at a relatively constant temperature that is the same as the temperature of the ambient space, there is reduced potential for the individual coin holder to "breathe" due to temperature fluctuations.

4) The coin storage space (safe, deposit box, etc.) should be "aired" on a regular basis to purge the build-up of any gases caused by the decomposition or out-gassing of the unavoidable materials that will do this over time. I recharge my dessicants about once a month and that is the perfect time to air things out. It's also a good excuse to visit your coins wherever they may be.

Just my take on the matter from a mechanical engineer who spent 45 years dealing with environmental control. Your mileage may vary.

wxcoin and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  11. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Wow, a mechanical engineer that can't count to five! (Just kidding of course.)

12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

For years, Susan Maltby, a museum conservator and expert on coin storage safety, ran articles in Coin World. There are links to a few years worth of her articles, but she has been a contributing author on coin conservation since 1989. I'm not sure if previous years' articles are available online anywhere.

https://www.coinworld.com/authors/susan-maltby.html

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  13. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Hah! The old saying went "Yesterday I couldn't even spell 'angeneer', today I are one"

GoldFinger1969 and UncleScroge like this.
  14. wxcoin

Thanks for sharing your comments. I guess what's inside the safe can vary significantly and frequently "airing" it out is a good practice. I realize that TPG slabs aren't perfectly air tight but wonder how much leaching would occur if the safe air wasn't "aired" out. Of course, raw coins are a different animal and how they are stored is significant.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Studies ? Not to my knowledge. But what we do have are centuries worth of experience and history of what various coin storage methods have resulted in. What has actually happened to the coins. And that result is the vast, vast majority of coins have been irreparably damaged and or destroyed by improper storage.

And there's a good bit more to it than that for we must also take known facts into account. The most important of which is - all coins tone beginning the very moment they are made. And, toning is corrosion and corrosion unquestionably damages the coins, will literally destroy them if left unchecked. It is not a question of if, it is merely a question of when.

We've learned from all of these things. And it is the learning, the gaining of that knowledge that has to brought us to recommended storage methods that we have now. Methods that didn't even exist as little as 50 years ago - after more than 2,000 years of coin collecting. And most of those methods were not widely accepted even 20 years. In point of fact there still resistance to accepting them now - today. You apparently are a prime example of that.

Now, it must also be understood that when it comes to coin storage methods, regardless of which methods one uses, there are a thousand, ten thousand variables involved. And those variables result in different outcomes. And most of those variables, most people don't even realize they exist.

For example, if you take a 100 people and all of them store their coins in cardboard albums for 30 years, you're going to get thousands of different results when it comes to the individual coins. If one collector has 200 coins in his albums, he's probably going to get 100 different results all by himself. All of the coins will be toned to some degree, it's just a question of what degree. Some may be toned completely black, while others may be colorful, others may be the common steel grey, and still others toned but not a whole lot. And that's with just 1 collector and 200 coins. And all in the same 2 or 3 or 4 albums.

Another collector, the majority of his coins may have ugly dark toning on them, some terminal toning. A few may even be attractive, but only a few.

Then consider that everything in your home, literally everything, has an impact on how the coins will tone. From the carpet or floor coverings you have to the paint on your walls, the type of heating system you have, A/C or lack thereof, to your kitchen stove and what you cook for dinner and how you cook it - literally everything has an impact on how the coins will tone. These are all scientific facts, not something open to debate.

You beginning to see the possibilities ? Now throw in all of the people who use cardboard 2x2s, then all of those who use coin envelopes, then all of those who use original mint packaging, then all of those who use coin flips, and and and.

Ya see GoldFinger, it's really simple when ya get right down to it - the enemy of coins is air. That's it, air - and everything contained in the air, and that of course includes humidity. This is a fact, plain and simple. So to protect your coins to the best of your ability you have to protect them from the air. And to do that you restrict the air flow that can get your coins as much as possible. And you do that with the storage methods I've recommended previously in this and countless other threads.

Then there's temperature changes. It is also a fact that temperature variances, especially large ones, increase or speed up toning. So to prevent that you store your coins where the temperature remains as close to constant as you can get.

Toning cannot be stopped, but it can be slowed down. And if you do everything you can, it can slowed significantly.

Your original question was - how harmful ? Well, there is no cut and dried answer because of all the variables involved. You cannot ever know how harmful it's going to be until it's too late.

So the real question is not how harmful, but rather do you wish to risk the harm, and perhaps even destruction, that you know for a fact is possible.

ldhair and GoldFinger1969 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted