Slab storage box size question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ZoidMeister, Oct 23, 2020.

1. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I have two 5-oz. silver Wedge-Tailed Eagles....the PCGS slab is 6" x 3.75" x .75"....the NGC slab is 6.5" x 4.75" x .875".

The NGC slab has a wider plastic circle surrounding the coin which adds to the extra width. Unnecessary, IMO.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, but slabbed coins will and do go into cardboard albums. Albums that also typically have outer vinyl covers - vinyl that contains PVC.

Even if you're trying to be humorous - you ARE correct. Coins should be kept away, far away, from any and all wood or wood products such as paper and cardboard.

Sorry but this is just flat out wrong. Slabs are NOT airtight, nor are they watertight. The seal you're talking about, that seal is intermittent and all it does is stick the two plastic halves to each other in places - not all the way around the slab.

And even if it did go all the way around the slab, the plastic itself the slab is made of - like almost all plastic, it's air permeable. Which means air goes right through the face of the slab itself. All by itself that renders what seal there is, completely immaterial.

Magnus87 and Penny Luster like this.
  4. GoldFinger1969

GDJMSP, I think putting coins into a heavily-shellacked wood stained shelf or case might be something to be aware of. But I would guess the amount of "gasses" coming from these wooden boxes or holders is miniscule. I just don't see it as a material threat -- maybe I'm wrong, but it's not like the wood is slowly decaying over a few years because of rough elements.

You also have paper in the inside of the slab.

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

NGC Boxes are the best. They fit almost every type of slab. NGC Old Fattys are a little tight but they still go in. The newer slabs are designed for the NGC holder so they fit great. The old PCGS holders fit normally, whereas the newer fatter PCGS slabs must be placed diagonally (see photo) which takes up two spots. ICG and ANACS new slabs fit, but the old soap bar ANACS slabs are too small and don't fit. PCI slabs and DGS which bought out the PCI slab stock both fit (see photo). The only slabs that don't fit into the NGC boxes are the SEGS slabs. The SEGS slab is to thick to fit it normally, and now wide enough to place in diagonally like a PCGS slab.

[​IMG]

You are talking about self slabbing materials which I have never used, but I imagine that if any of the boxes could accommodate them, it would be the most versatile of the boxes, which is NGC.

6. GDJMSP

As I have said more times than I can count - people will only believe what they want to believe.

You might want to try considering this little scientific fact - everything, literally everything, is in a constant state of decay. And as things decay, they put off gasses.

Do a little research on wood GoldFinger, you'll find that everything I have said is true. In point of fact, if you do, you'll find out that coin cabinets were typically made of mahogany for centuries because even centuries ago they discovered that mahogany puts off less harmful gasses than other woods do. But even mahogany still puts off gasses that are harmful to coins.

But until you convince yourself, you go right on believing whatever you want to believe.

Penny Luster, GoldFinger1969 and Razz like this.
  7. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

8. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

I just KNEW there was scientific evidence . . . . . . .

Wait 'till my wife . . . . . . never mind . . . . . .

Z

John Skelton likes this.
  9. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Entropy

10. GoldFinger1969

No, I DO believe you GD....I just think (hope ?) that the amount of gasses is very very low. Point of fact, I have a wooden bed, wooden furniture and I really CAN'T put my coins somewhere where they are not close to wood. :mad:

I guess I have to look for metal holders now !! :mad:

ZoidMeister likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

Proper coin storage is fairly simple. Each coin should be in an individual hard plastic holder. Then stored in a sealed container of some sort, along with rechargeable silica gel packs, and nothing but inert materials inside the sealed container. And the container itself needs to be stored in dark room with only interior walls, where the temperature is as close to constant as it can be. Do all of those things and you have done almost as much as you can.

The one other thing that can be done is to use glass, airtight, sealed containers.

ZoidMeister and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  12. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

(Tongue firmly in cheek).

The raw coin should be suspended within a vacuum bottle by an inductive/magnetic field that keeps it from contact with any other item. Then the bottle should be powered by an eternal (relatively speaking) power source and placed into a solar-centric orbit outside the orbit of the Oort Cloud.

Of course, looking at your coin will be a tad more complicated than a trip to the safety deposit box.

13. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

long story short PCGS boxes fit pcgs slabs.. ngc boxes a little better but pcgs slabs rattle around loose.. best I've found is a generic box with slanted slots that fits pcgs, ngc and anacs slabs nicely... now if I could only remember where i bought them lol
    20201028_113625.jpg 20201028_113658.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    ZoidMeister and Penny Luster like this.
  14. GoldFinger1969

:D:D:D:D:D

15. GDJMSP

Oddly enough, the technology that allows one to best protect his coins in a truly airtight container is over 100 years old.

[​IMG]

16. chascat

But the air is full of smog...LOL

17. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

I've been using these 50 certified coin aluminum storage boxes for a while now. They seem to work just fine for all TPGs coins. I like the clear plastic window on the top so I can see what's inside. These are imported by Guardhouse, I got mine on eBay. 50 Coin Storage Box 1.jpg 50 Coin Storage Box 2.jpg

longshot and RonSanderson like this.
  18. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I got lost somewhere in the thread. I thought I read that wood, or cardboard, which is a wood product, as is paper gives off gases that could damage my coins. Does that mean that all of my coins that are in cardboard 2x2s are dangerous to my coins? Also, the boxes that I got from one of the Coin Supply Online stores are also made out of cardboard. I love my 2', with two parts. Do I need to dump anything made of wood or wood products? Like I said, I am lost. I, and maybe others, need to be directly to the point as to how to store our coins. How about the boxes that the Mint sends their coins to us? I use them to store my larger coins.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  19. chascat

This thread got lost too...it's topic is what's the best storage method for slabbed coins, not a spectro analysis of storage boxes.

GoldFinger1969 and Lehigh96 like this.
  20. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I paid a fortune for my latest PCGS box. I have to admit that it came with the 20 coins I had graded.

chascat and Kentucky like this.
  21. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Me too

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted