Slab storage box size question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ZoidMeister, Oct 23, 2020.

1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Been thru all the common storage methods in past years...all my NGC, PCGS, and several others are empty and collecting dust. All were a big drag for me so now I only use 5 3/4 x12 inch x 3 1/2 black double row boxes for everything. They stack nice, look nice, work well and are cheap. Forgot to mention are sturdy and hold Proof Sets when inner treys are removed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

@C-B-D set me straight on boxes more than a year ago, and it kind of subconsciously prompted me to have a prejudice for certain slabs. I have some ANACS slabs inside an NGC box, but you are right, the others just don't fit. A little later, Doug put someone else onto an Intercept box, so I bought one. It's OK, but the slabs slide from side to side UNLESS you stuff the slabs on each side with those packing peanuts or some other suitable restraining vehicle.

4. LA_Geezer

I'll bet they are expensive; and I hope there's a version that will hold more than 10 slabs.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Am I correct that PCGS and NGC boxes won't accomodate the other's slabs...but that generic boxes from Wizard and Intercept will ?

6. LA_Geezer

U R correct.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  7. LA_Geezer

As for the OP's original question about slabbing his own, like most others here I've tried a number of storage boxes for their own plastic holders. I confess to liking the BCW coin display slabs the best, but their size means you have to pick a taller storage box. I have decided to stick with Guardhouse 2 X 2 coin holders and their own Tetra boxes for the economy and uniformity. Most 2 X 2 coin holders fit in these boxes with no problems.

Jim Dale and ZoidMeister like this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

Just curious....I have some NGC and PCGS slabs that are like Jumbo Stuffed Oreos width-wise for modern coins that are 2 ounces and/or Ultra High Relief :D.....any storage boxes for them ?

Also, what about the ever-increaingly popular 5-ounce slabs for silver ? Any boxes for them ? I'm using some crappy velvet pouches right now.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

PCGS makes a box for theirs

10. GoldFinger1969

Unfortunately, I think most of mine are NGC. Gotta check.

11. baseball21

You need a moving box for those lol, those are laughably large

12. GoldFinger1969

Saw LOTS of them at FUN; folks like the larger size as the coins are really beautiful to look at. Get a 70 or 69 or even 68 and they show all the details in near/perfection.

Not a substitute for silver (or gold) in bulk as you pay a rich premium, but for a conversation piece or two, they look nice.

13. baseball21

I meant the oversized NGC slabs for them, they double as a TV dinner tray

LA_Geezer and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  14. GoldFinger1969

Right, the 5 ounce slabs from NGC and PCGS.

I think I saw a 10 ounce slab with GOLD at FUN, too !

15. baseball21

The PCGS ones a MUCHHHH smaller, they're only as big as they need to be. The NGC ones could be half the size and still easily fit the coin.

Yea there's some things much bigger slabs are necessary for and both will do them, I just have no idea why NGC chose to use such an oversized one on the 5 oz pucks

16. ddddd

ddddd Member

NGC has several types of boxes for the bigger slabs:
    https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5758/NGC-Adds-New-Display-Box-Options/

17. Thomas R Reynolds

Thomas R Reynolds Active Member

I have slabs from NGC, PCGS, ANACS both old, new and all other TPG's that you can think of. They all fit in my intercept boxes. Only the PCGS green rattlers are a little loose in the boxes. I have 4 Intercept boxes now that are full and none of the slabs rattle or are loose. They are a little more expensive but they also have the anti-corrosion shield in them.

18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I use the cheap black double boxes as mentioned above and place old ANACS and undersized slabs in a vinyl zip lock bag so they fit nicer without the rattles and scratches.

19. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The slabs are not sealed to gases.

LA_Geezer and Magnus87 like this.
  20. baseball21

And only the newest PCGS ones even make a claim of being water resistant underwater to an extent. Wouldn't recommend people throwing the others in the bathtub

Magnus87 and Kentucky like this.
  21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

No, they are not air-tight. In fact only a specific sequence of PCGS slabs are water-tight (I think they gave up on those).

Magnus87 and ZoidMeister like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted