Slab storage and organization...?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Beefer518, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

So like I'm sure many of you, I have slabs from PCGS, NGC, ANACS, and a couple from ICG, along with a few basement slabs.

I picked up 8 PCGS blue storage boxes (not realizing the NGC and basements won't fit, but that's somewhat irrelevant) in an attempt to get them organized. I also have 1 double row Intercept Shield box. So now I have the Intercept box holding a mix of NGC slabs in some order (cents, nickels, dimes, etc., by year), and 3 of the PCGS boxes with the same type of mix. To me, this is very unorganized, and I'm not even an organized person.

What do you do, or what do you suggest?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Bambam8778 likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

My method is an NGC box for NGC and a PCGS box for PCGS, Anacs, ICG, and SEGS. A few of my random basement slab are in a simple cardboard box that Anacs used to ship my submission back.

There obviously are nicer options, including the one linked above. It is all a matter of how much one is willing to spend on the box.

5. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

How about the order in which they are in the storage boxes? I'd like one of those albums that holds slabs, but a) they're stupid expensive, and b) they wouldn't fit in my safe.

ddddd likes this.
  6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Whatever method makes it easier for you to remember. Whether that is by type, value, toned or blast white ect varies with every person, but if you can remember there's really nothing wrong with some organized chaos with what boxes they're in.

If you really want you can always put some sort of mark or sticker on the outside as a label reminder

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    ddddd likes this.
  7. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

8. ddddd

ddddd Member

My boxes are sorted by type of coin...i.e. Morgan, Commem, Franklin+Kennedy, and random. Within each box, it is usually sorted by date.

I also like the idea of those albums that you mention, but they are expensive and can be heavy (they seem less likely to hold the weight without ripping compared to a box). Plus, if you are putting them in a safe, the album doesn't seem to be super useful; boxes seem like they would work better for you.

9. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

I put all slabs in a Coin Armour bag (Intercept technology). They also sell boxes, but I don't use them too much. The boxes are nicely configured for the SDB sizes though if you like them.
    http://shop.coinarmour.com/3-1-4-x-4-Coin-Storage-Bags-Click-Image-for-Product-Detail-001.htm

Particularly delicate/reactive/valuable coins then are shoved (Armour bag and all) into the individual slab holders by Intercept. Carefully to ensure no snags in the plastic bag.
    http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/intercept-shield-slab-covers.html

The slabs then are put in one of these:

The double row box for a particular set
    http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/intercept-shield-double-row-red-box.html

or this one. It's designed for cards, and actually holds the individual slab boxes quite nicely, or just the slabs in a baggie. It's longer and wider than the official slab boxes, but I like them better because of the flexibility.
    http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/intercept-shield-single-row-white-box.html

Considering the value of my collection this is serious overkill. However, I have a small but significant number of low value/but hard to find aluminum and tin coins so I find the paranoia worth it.

Oh, and my elderly Dansco Japan Type set album (long out of print) and my 7070 reside in one of the Intercept Keepsake boxes.

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/product/intercept-shield-keepsafe-box.html

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I got cheap in my old age. I use the cardboard shipping boxes that hold 20 or 50 slabs. They hold NGC, PCGS, ANACS and ICG slabs. I have plenty of them to spare, so I can use a Sharpie to mark the end of the box which makes it easy to find whatever type coin I want.

Chris

Paddy54, dwhiz and ddddd like this.
  11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The light house ones hold up well, I wouldn't worry about those struggling with the weight at all. You are right though they are expensive for a storage method and do take up more room.

ddddd likes this.
  12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

fireguy83 likes this.
  13. Robert Paul

Robert Paul Active Member

Great Ideas here for the long term storage, I did not know there were so many other options. I like the zipper bags, at Coin Armour.
    I have the double row slab boxes long ones and short ones.
    The short ones are 1/2" over the width of a safe deposit box size with the top and 1/4" over without the top but they advertise 3 1/4"H x 5 3/4"W x 10"L and that's outside/inside measurements.
    My box in hand measures:
    3 1/4" high, bottom box only outside measurement, 3 1/2 with the top on it.
    5 3/4" wide, bottom box only outside measurement, 5 7/8 with the top on it.
    10 1/4" long, bottom box only outside measurement, 10 1/2 with the top on it.

SDB are 10" wide, with no room to give a little, and measure 10"W x 10"H x 21"L
    I could get 9 short boxes in it, if it wasn't for that extra 1/4 or 1/2" in length. As it is 6 is all that fits and loose slabs.
    Anyone know someone that makes boxes?

14. cpm9ball

http://continentalcontainersinc.com/

Chris

15. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

How are these bags that you cite here any different from THESE Intercept bags?
    https://www.amazon.com/Intercept-Co...rd_wg=hkqFa&psc=1&refRID=HZJ2PQ77Z7AN0X3GNRWT

I'm looking for something like this, too, but I notice just how pricey the ones you linked are compared to the Intercept bags without the "Coin Armour" name on them...

Stork and fireguy83 like this.
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Heavy cardboard boxes. My dealer has them at five bucks each and they stack neatly in my safe on top of the flip holder boxes.

17. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Looks to be the same, and those have the Intercept logo. Sizes are all wrong.

Found a few listings for 4x6 inches--they would on the large size but the slabs would actually fit inside. Those appear to be generic/lacking the logo (nothing wrong with that as long as they are truly Intercept and not something else just made to look that way).

I'll have to keep my eye open to see if some appropriately sized bags show up at those MUCH nicer prices. I was thinking less than a dollar each for the Coin Armour/Intercept seemed reasonable....until I saw your Ammy link! I don't want the 4x6 though because of the way I stuff them into other boxes.

18. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

For safe deposit box storage, space is at a premium. For years, I’ve used Crown red cardboard boxes, either the long or short sizes because they hold any size slab, and there is little “fat” around the edges to take-up extra space. I’m switching to Lighthouse boxes though for extra protection.

Every slab gets an inventory number upon acquisition, and that’s how they’re entered in my database. However, I’ve found it’s not the best way to organize the slabs themselves. What seems to work best is Red Book order; i.e. have them in order according to their appearance in the Red Book. This works so well, I no longer bother to put stickers with the inventory numbers on the slabs.

World coins are by country first, then denomination. Ancients (I have only Roman Repbulic) are by date and aren’t slabbed.

Cal

19. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I use the slab boxes Wizard sells. They come in single and double , they stack better then different plasic boxes from the TPG's. They even have color choices to color code if you wish. Keep it simple and cheap . All slabs fit so no worries about the lids fitting correctly
    45210.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  20. cpm9ball

I'm even cheaper than that. I saved all of the cardboard shipping boxes from NGC that have 20 slab compartments.

Chris

Bambam8778, Paddy54 and Beefer518 like this.
  21. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I've used them too but I like the duel boxes as they hold quite a few slabs and fit in my safe nicely.

Draft saved Draft deleted