Slab question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Walkerfan, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Walkerfan

Walkerfan Well-Known Member

Do you think that dropping an old NGC slab from a bookshelf onto a carpeted floor (about 5 feet) could damage or crack the slab?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

no.

Walkerfan likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

5. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

It's not the fall that'll damage it, it's what the dog does when he get's to it.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Why? Is someone trying to sell you a coin in a damaged slab?

Chris

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It shouldn't break the plastic. If it was poorly sealed or messed with, there's a chance split in half (but not likely).

8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Anything is possible. Depends on how thick and soft the carpet is, what angle the slab hit, and how the slab had been stored over its life (that is, if the plastic had gotten brittle).

In my office, the carpet is pretty soft and I know that I have dropped slabs before without breaking.

Walkerfan likes this.
  9. Walkerfan

No, just curiosity and OCD.

Seattlite86 and Stevearino like this.
  10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Generally, your slabs should be fine. Mine have survived falling from about that height onto wooden floors. Scratched up the wood.

Walkerfan likes this.
  11. Prez2

Prez2 Well-Known Member

Ahh, just crack them out. Who needs slabs anyway? Just do a Vulcan mind meld with the right person and you'll instantly possess enough knowledge to assign your own value every single time!

12. Shrews1994

Shrews1994 Collecting is my passion.

No. It won't break beeing dropped on a carpet floor lol

Walkerfan likes this.
  13. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Maybe a 5% chance of getting a crack if you drop it like that onto a concrete floor. Carpet? Not a chance.

Walkerfan likes this.
  14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Plush, berber or commercial carpet? Padded or glued down installation? If padded, thickness and weight of the pad? If glued down floor composition underneath, wood or concrete? Lots of variables. But in general it isn't likely.

15. Walkerfan

Plush. No padding. Glued down installation. Not concrete likely wood underneath.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  16. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Landing on a carpeted floor? That's like treating it extra careful. Nothing could be worse from the way dealers treat freshly slabbed coins. Seems to me many of them go out of their way to scratch up the "scratch resistant" holders by dragging the slabs back and forth vigorously on rough surfaces, chewing them, and whacking them with a mallet. When I complain about this, I hear things like "buy the coin, not the slab". Too bad I can't see the coin through all the scratches!! You're fine.

Walkerfan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted