Featured SkyMan says: Fifty years ago today Apollo 11; 7/15/69

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Skyman, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Bman33

Bman33 Well-Known Member

Alright, let's get Artemis going and then Mars!

Skyman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Yes, that is a real flag. I do not know how many flags were brought with the astronauts to the Moon.

Back in the Apollo days, the astronauts were allowed to bring 5 pounds of items with them to be carried aboard the CSM, e.g. 15 pounds in total. On Moon landing missions the astronauts could also place 1/2 pound each aboard the LM, e.g 1.5 pounds in total. These items first had to be OK'ed by Deke Slayton. They were then placed in bags, and placed aboard the respective spacecraft. These items were then called the Personal Preference Kit (PPK).

There were also Official Preference Kits (OPK) that were placed aboard the spacecraft by NASA. I do not know the weight restrictions on the OPK. These OPKs had flags, patches etc. that NASA would then give out to assorted people, such as senators, congressmen, employees, contractors etc. etc.

Within the PPKs the astronauts brought a wide variety of lightweight items, such as flags, patches, coins, stamps, jewelry etc.

While in theory somewhere or other there should be listings of what was in PPK and OPK for the assorted flights, research by quite a few interested authors, collectors, historians etc. has not found these lists.

One other point, many of the flags, again, I don't know what percentage, were either (US) State flags, or flags of other countries.

4. UncleScroge

UncleScroge Well-Known Member

Fascinating! Thanks for the info.

Skyman likes this.
  5. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

@Skyman , thank you so much for taking the time to write these up. Each submission was very interesting and I learned a lot about this historic mission. I look forward to the next mission in November!

Skyman and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Was this really a year ago?

Skyman and masterswimmer like this.
  8. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Actually 51 years ago ;)

Skyman and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  9. UncleScroge