Size of Bavarian 2 Thalers

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by doppeltaler, Oct 4, 2015.

1. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

I just got my first Bavarian 2 Thalers and noticed a difference in sizes. Size of the first 2 thaler of 1840 is what i am used to see with my other German state 2 thalers. However the next two of 1841 and 1844 seems to be small in diameter and much dense/thicker. All the references mention same weigh 37.12g. I am wondering if this is true for all 2 thalers produced in Bavaria later than 1840.

1840-2T-1.jpg 1841-2T-1.jpg 1844-2T-1.jpg

spirityoda and furryfrog02 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Know nothing about them but they're lovely coins.

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Standard sizes of thalers, and thus 2 thalers, changed throughout the years. I don't know the exact boundaries but very plausible that such a change occurred around 1840.

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The thaler coins based on the 1837 Dresden Convention (later "succeeded" by the 1857 Vienna Convention) had a fine weight of 1 Cologne Mark, i.e. ~233.85 g. That would be 7 Doppelthaler. Not sure about the size variations; I do not collect such pieces. But I know that the Doppelthaler was not popular due to its size and value - it was colloquially called Champagne Thaler as you could hardly use it for everyday transactions. ;)

Edit - Only the first one actually says "Vereinsmünze" (Convention Coin); the other two apparently are what is called Geschichts-Doppeltaler (History Double Thalers). Here are three examples, all with the same raw and fine weight (37.12 and 33.41 g) but different diameters:

https://www.hdbg.eu/koenigreich/web/index.php/objekte/index/id/654
    41 mm
    http://www.heubach-edelmetalle.de/content/altdeutschland-bayern-ludwig-geschichtsdoppeltaler-1842
    40 mm
    https://www.hdbg.eu/koenigreich/web/index.php/objekte/index/id/652
    38 mm

Christian

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  6. doppeltaler

Thank you Christian. I agree these are bit bulky to carry around. Most of the 2 talers i have seen in auction houses are in circulated conditions though. It could be just handling and not really used for transactions.

7. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

Nice coins - saw them on Heritage and got way outbid (out of my price range). Congratulations on winning some beautiful coins.

The first one is a "standard" coin, while the other two are "commemoratives", perhaps that explains the sizes?

8. doppeltaler

lol , yes i did won these on heritage to much annoyance of my wife. I saved all this year and sold considerable portion of my crowns on ebay to fund this and other purchases of pre long beach sale. I don't regret and love all the coins. But i am broke for a while wrt adding more crowns to my collections. I see they have the part 2 of the German coins coming up pretty soon.
    Btw i think it was comparatively inexpensive those doppeltalers sold at heritage. Only wish i could buy couple more.

9. Inquisitive

Inquisitive Starting 2 know something

$200 price range for a coin that is not part of my "main" collection is a bit much for me. Rather spend Heritage money on British Trade Dollars :)

lf.jpg lf2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted